Posts by CakeDiosa

eh -I just think some days you're on top and some you're not. Along with the other possibilities mentioned it's just a matter of who sees and is inspired by your cake. My last few cakes have topped the 100s in favs and I had/have to temper myself because I know that won't last. It's great when it happens but I know it won't every time. And that's a good thing for 'me' - it makes me push myself harder.I saw your gallery and your work is AWESOME so, NO, you definitely...
thanks for this Jeff. I didn't know she had a newsletter but will signing up. I tried a red velvet out of one of the doctor books but it has a german choc base and wasn't overly impressive. I'll try this one and see how it turns out. Need a good red velvet recipe that isn't too soft for fondant.
Hey thanks for the compliments ya'll!!Here is what I did with gumpaste: First I rolled the center - um, I don't know what it's called - a quill maybe? Anyway, I rolled that out and let it firm up while I did the actual feather part. I just printed out an image from a google search. Rolled my gumpaste to about a 6 on my kitchen aid. Placed both on a light box. Cut out feather then took my wilton cutting wheel and scored the lines while it was still on the template so I'd...
I have. I thin it with Vodka. Use the vodka to clean your airbrush too when your done.
Take a scrap piece of fondant and experiment with the gel color alone versus fondant. The gel color will shine but I don't know about mixing it. If you rub it with crisco it will shine but not like glass more like leather. Spray it with Pam it'll shine but be a bit oily to the touch. You can paint it with water and it will shine and be dry to the touch. See example on the black on my Bratz cake. I painted it with water and it dried to the shine you will see. Here's...
See my feather here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1576113.htmlIf this is what you mean I can PM you instructions. hope this helps!
See my Fedora Hat cake. You can see the interior and that will help it make sense. I let the panels dry for about two weeks. They were about 70% gumpaste and 30% fondant. I'd do all gumpaste next time I just mixed it because I wanted the working time. What I found was that even after drying in a room in my house for two weeks the interior was not completely dried through when I cut them. It held fine and didn't give me any problems but I was surprised it didn't dry...
I don't have one yet but am growing more interested. I went into my cake store yesterday and the owner had one. She said to hold off buying one because Cricut will be coming out with a machine specifically for cake decorators. I guess they got the message. Sorry, that's all the info I have on it. I don't know how reliable it is but that's what she told me.
Sounds like you've got the right idea. One thing that might help carve is a tip I learned from a Mike Mc Carey DVD. If you can print out the picture of the bottle and enlarge it to the size you need then you can just lay it over the top of your cake as a template and carve it quickly and easily.
Here is a link to the sheet cake serving sizes: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1300481.htmlIn the galleries there is also a round cake serving chart. I'd probably make a figure 8 with two round cakes then get my shape from that. According to the serving charts if you go by wedding serving slices, two layer, 8" rounds will yield 28 servings each. There was a long thread about whether to go by party slices or wedding slices and in the end it was pretty much...