Posts by CakeDiosa

Oh, I tried that recipe you have and didn't like it for this application. It "dries" blotchy and not smooth. What I use is CK's Confectioners glaze. I buy it from my local cake guy and don't know if most cake shops carry it but I know Jennifer Dontz sells it on her website and she ships mega FAST www dot sugardelites dot com. Go back to my gallery and look at my dragon cake here's the link:   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1715126.html. There is a picture of...
Great video Doug. I LOVE woodworking!! I remove my trim pieces as I go. Although as I look at that video it does makes sense to leave them in place because when you remove them after you have carved the profile you have to place your top template over the curvature of the car versus a flat surface if you leave your scraps in place. Either method will produce your shape but it may be easier to cut with them in place. You do cut the sides first. Cutting only about 1/2...
forgot to add that if your cake is rather large you should probably put it on 1/2" foam core to start since 1/4" might not be strong enough to hold it. That all depends on the side of your cake, however. I have done all of mine using 1/2" foam core. Except for my first practice cake (that Hot Wheels cake) I used cardboard cake board and as it absorbed oil from the cake and BC it became soft and gave way under the trunk so, I definitely recommend foam core for this...
You don't have to worry about finding any blue prints. You have the scale model so you can use that. Take pics from the same distance of the side and top of the truck (lay the truck on it's side and snap a pic of the top from the same distance as the side pic). Then blow that up on a copier to the scale you need it (amount of servings). Cover with clear packing tape and voila you have your template (this is the extremely condensed version of Mike Mc Carey's...
Well, I wish you were local to me and I'd make this cake for you!!!Congrats to you, your strength and health!! I'm sure they'll appreciate ANY token of your thanks to them! Be well!Jen
I should probably add that I would actually freeze Dora's head for at least 30 mins then pre drill/dig a hole for that dowel. I'd then fill that hole with melted chocolate before placing it on the dowel. But move fast. If the head is frozen that chocolate will set FAST. It won't go anywhere!! Chocolate is the best glue ever!!! I even used melted chocolate to secure my Mad Hatter's hat to the steel flange it was sitting on.
Don't question anything. Just learn the right way to do it and the next time you'll be beaming with confidence. It's not the way you handled your cakes it was assuming the "cake" could hold the weight of the RKT. RKT are HEAVY and the sponge couldn't hold it. You just left out some components that would have helped.Here is what would have worked (and WILL work in the future):First: use 1/2" foam core as your cake boards and as your base board for the entire cake. This...
Red velvet is really soft too. So consider that even if you refrig it to hold its shape while decorating it may very well deform as it starts to come to room temp. I had a ball pan failure. It was supposed to be a soccer ball but morphed into a hamburger shape so I just made it a vase (it was for a friend and a flexible cake design - thank goodness!). But from that I learned that I will only use pound cake when I need shapes to hold in cake. I had used a dense recipe...
In your "before" picture your tiers look bulgy like they may be supporting too much weight rather than the dowels supporting all of the weight. Especially that bottom tier. Unless that is how it looked before you starting stacking them then the odds are you cut your dowels too short and the cake got smashed down. This would contribute to your problem. Also, if you didn't use a center dowel if you transported them stacked. Your angles are pretty extreme to survive...
I tested what I read once about fondant cakes being fresh for up to five days. I tested it with a cake class cake that I made on a Wednesday night and ate on Sunday afternoon. It was moist and perfectly fine. I would NEVER do that for someone buying a cake. For them I usually bake Wednesday and cover Thurs to allow Thurs and Fri for decorating a cake due Saturday. Bump it all up one day for a cake due Sunday. I just tested it that one time because I was curious and...