Posts by pursuing_perfection

If you have candy melts on hand, using candy melts would be the easiest. However, where I live, candy melts are not readily available, so I would probably try wrapping the cones in fondant, or simply making fondant cones if you have several days to let them dry. If you use a simple Marshmallow Fondant recipe from this site, then fondant is not expensive at all! It takes a little time to make, and the key is using lots of shortening as you work it.
I just did my first grad cap last month (it is in my pics). I used the sports ball pan to make the dome and covered it in fondant. I had planned on doing the mortarboard part out of fondant, but my wise cake making friend told me that I wouldn't have enough dry time, so it would sag. I could have used gumpaste, which would have dried faster, but I was concerned that it wouldn't quite match the fondant base, SO...I ended up getting my hubby to cut me a square mortarboard...
Hello all you expert cake bakers. After wrecking several handmixers on thick cake batter and royal icing, I think I need to make the jump to a stand mixer. Which is better - Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart? Or is it simply a matter of how many watts the machine has? What about repairs? Anyone have problems with their stand mixer? I want to find out what I can before my birthday this summer, as I have been dropping hints about what a wonderful gift a stand mixer would be!
Air bubbles in icing - don't you just hate it when that happens! Yes, a cold cake can be the reason that the air bubble is developing. (At least that is what my cake instructor said, and my experience so far has proved her right). To get rid of the air bubble, sterilize a corsage pin or quilting needle, and then poke the fondant where the air bubble is trapped. It should help to let the air escape.
I just saw the June cover of the Cake Central Magazine. What an incredible cake! I would love to know how to make it...but I will settle for one technique at a time. The "moss covered" balls supporting the upper tiers caught my eye. I would love to know how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas what was used? I know you can cover globe pillars with fondant to change the look...but this was obviously more than fondant. Any suggestions, as I would love to use this on...
Just so you know - not all CC'ers are "ladies". I've got some great cake decorating tips from guys, too.
You could also try using a fondant smoother to press the bumps down. Let us know what worked best.
I have frozen cakes, decorated them and then frozen them again. I have not found it to negatively affect the taste of the cake. If anything, the cake seems to be more moist.If this is a "paying" job, then double-check food regulations. If not, then stop stressing - it should be fine! (Especially since it is not decorated yet).If you are really concerned, then put the cake(s) into Tupperware (or other leak-proof containers) and pack ice all around and over them. The...
Describe "awful". Did it all ooze out?Without having all the details, all I can say is:- make sure you have a stiff icing dam around the edges of the cake as you fill each layer.- use a thick chocolate fudge (you can MW to soften and spread, but if you do this, let it harden before stacking the next layer on)
Lime green and brown would make a nice color scheme. If you wanted more color, than add small amounts of a medium pink and medium blue (covers whatever sex the baby is). If you do add color, either match the intensity of the lime green, or do lighter and darker shades of the lime green. Using stripes and dots is contemporary and uni-sex (stay away from flowers). There are tons of ideas on CC if you want to add additional fondant accents such as a soother, rattle,...