Posts by pursuing_perfection

I talked to the florist, and she said that roses and daisies should be fine for at least 24 hours out of water, since they are in the cooler for most of that time.  Wrapping the stems and then inserting them in straws should help them to last for up to 2 days.  I will not try the melted chocolate method this time to be safe.  IF I have leftover flowers, I may try one and let it sit on my counter to sit what happens.  (And then I will post the results here.)  Thanks for...
p.s.  The cake would be in a cooler for most of the 2 days.
I was asked to use real flowers, so sugar flowers aren't an option.  I DO AGREE that wires and flower stems should never go directly into a cake.  However, properly wrapped and covered wires and flowers CAN go into cakes (just not too many).  I was hoping someone could tell me how long the flowers would look good.  I had planned to put the roses in flower picks with a small amount of water...but was wondering how long organically grown, pesticide free daisies with their...
What is the longest that you have kept the flowers after they have been dipped in the candy melts?  I would need the flowers to look good for almost 2 days after inserting them into the cake.  (Long story...and it is complicated.)
icer101, I want to cover my Styrofoam dummy with plastic wrap to keep it clean.  I am using it as the bottom layer for a wedding cake (cheaper than baking and filling the cake), and will be icing it with cream cheese buttercream the same as the top layer (so that the icing colors are exactly the same instead of different shades of white).  It is being transported to an out-of-town wedding over 24 hours in advance, and will be sitting uncovered in the cooler at the venue. ...
I have used a little disc with oasis (provided by the florist) on the top of the cake, with a small disc of wax paper around it to cover any petals that shouldn't touch.  I have also used floral picks poked into the cake as well as stems wrapped in plastic wrap and then inserted into straws before being poked into the cake.  HOWEVER, I do not recommend this when the bride wants a lot of flowers!  If the flowers are small and light, keep the stem and straw short.  Only...
I am about to use a Styrofoam cake dummy for the first time, and I had also wondered about covering the Styrofoam first.  I do not plan to keep this dummy layer decorated and on display.  Instead, I plan to remove the icing after so that I can re-use the dummy another time with another color of icing.  I have heard of people covering them with plastic wrap first (like Saran Wrap), but am concerned as to how well the buttercream will stay on the plastic wrap.  I also need...
Charmaine49, I realize this is an older post...so I hope you are still out there.  :)  Do you use white granulated sugar or powdered sugar (icing sugar; confectioner's sugar)?
cherrycakes, you were the one who originally got me started with the Duncan Hines WASC.  I admit that it isn't as good since they changed the amount you get in each box.  Are you still loving this fromscratchsf recipe?  Do you weigh your ingredients each time or have you converted the recipe to dry measure?  (I don't have a digital kitchen scale).
I forgot to mention that I also omit the liquid red food coloring and use 1 teaspoon of Wilton No-Taste Red Icing Color Gel instead.  I think it makes for a better taste.