Posts by mommy1st

Thanks I will give it a try
Have a client that wants cookie dough jumbo cupcakes for this weekend.  Anyone have a good recipe that they are willing to share?  
Kiddiekakes, I agree I am a decorator at heart also. I am 47, and have been decorating for over 20 years, the past 6 here at this store.  I am giving it about 1 1/2 years until my youngest graduates, then I am going to see if I can find something easier. If it were not for the fact I love decorating, I would have quit a long time ago.
The grocery store I work at starts decorators out at mw.  Be expected to do at least one cake when interviewing to show icing skills, roses, and hand writing.  If you are good you might be able to negotiate a higher rate.  I was lucky and hired in at $12.50.  The bakery job I had prior, I was making more, but was willing to settle for less because I wanted earlier hours.  With kids in school, and sports, I wanted a better idea of the hours I would be working.  I am...
Sometimes the customer have honest complaints where the clerk ( we go thru alot of sales clerks) misunderstands what the customer wants and we try to correct when possible.  But sad to say there are more customers that have learned that by simply complaining they can get the cake for free or even at a reduced price.  We do keep a list and it is amazing how many have multiple complaints.  There is nothing we can do about it.  I would kill to say to a couple of them "...
I am sorry to say grocery stores can be thanked for alot of the complaints you are recieving.  I used to work in a retail bakery where complaints were handled accordingly.  Then I went to work for a large grocery store chain as it was better for my childrens schedules.  Here the store manager has trained many of the customers to be cronic complainers.  It pays.  They get refunds for almost anything. ie, the cake not being how they thought it would look, not the right...
I have to laugh.  The company I work for used to be great to the employees.  Then in the quest for more money had sold part to another company.  Now it is only for the money.  They don't care about the employees.  It is starting to catch up to them.  They are having a hard time finding any decorators to work for them.  They don't  understand that anyone with experience isn't willing to start at miminum wage, be available from 5am to 9pm, weekends and holidays. 
I use the Dawn Food Company by where I live and have never had a problem. When I want to place an order, I call the day before I want to pick it up or early that day. They have me under a " will call account". I am reqired to pay in full at the time of pick up. As I only get a couple things at a time, I have never inquired about delivery. The have told me that if I opened an account with them, I would save quite a bit of money ( as the will call accounts are charged...
You use to see alot of home bakers advertising on craigslist in my area. For the past couple of weeks, I haven't seen anyone advertise. I have a good feeling the health dept. stepped in and started checking up on these people. Anyone elses notice it?
When using royal icing, you need an icing that doesn't have alot of moisture in it or it breaks down the royal icing. Sorry about the problems you had.