Posts by NoNameinNM

I'm an instructor who happens to be left-handed (although very ambidextrous so I can manage both left- and right-handed piping equally well).The Wilton practice sheets and books are definitely very good at giving directions for both left- and right-handed decorators, so those can be a good start.When writing in cursive on cakes I find it easiest to tilt the cake so that the upper left corner is much higher than the upper right corner (same tilt applies to round cakes, but...
Oops... forgot to add: when I want a shade like that, I often find myself using more yellow than green.Jamey
With the Wilton colors, you'll probably want to use Lemon Yellow and Leaf Green or Kelly Green.Tint the icing a pale yellow shade-- a pastel yellow. Then add the Leaf Green or Kelly Green until you are close to reaching the depth of color you want.At that point, if you want to tweak it to more of a chartreuse color, you can add more of the yellow. Otherwise, continue deepening it with the green.Hope that helps!Jamey
I've been on cake central for at least two and one-half years, and on yummy arts for about a year.I love them both, and can't imagine not having access to both! Both offer the all important photo galleries and forums that have saved so many of us in a pinch whether we needed instructions or inspiration.The downside with yummy arts, of course, is the monthly membership fee. If you learn better through watching someone show you a technique than through books and pictures,...
Yep, I'm an instructor! I love it! LOL-- Clowns scare a LOT of people, and I've seen some pretty creative solutions. One of my favorites was when a student bought 2 dozen Santa Claus Pez dispensers, took the heads off and used them instead of the clown heads.
cakesgalore6373-- that makes me so sad to hear of your instructor's behavior! We instructors all know (or SHOULD know) that other activities take a back seat when we have a class in session. A true emergency may occur on rare occasions, but this doesn't appear to meet that kind of criteria. At the very least, she should have brought in a substitute instructor for the class if she wasn't going to be able to fully cover the material. This is just not acceptable and she...
Since you bought the big 101 piece set, you're good to go for Course 1. About the only thing that's not in the big kit that most students also love to have is one of the cake decorating turntables.Your instructor may also encourage you to purchase meringue powder, and piping gel, plus the clown heads that are used in the third lesson. Some students also prefer the parchment bags but you'll have enough disposable bags from the big kit to get you through Course 1.She or he...
My Mother used to be a florist, so I asked her if she could identify this. She said: "Several years ago there was a dried stuff called tingting, I still have some. It was more like a very small pliable stem, it was curled when you bought it and it came very curly or just curved. What's on the cake sort of looks like bear grass that has been dried and painted, the color looks too dark to be natural. Probably to get the really curly ends they had to wet and shape and pin...
What recipe are you using? The Martha Stewart SMBC recipe I use a lot says to heat the mixture to 140°F instead of 160°F.I've recently starting using the pasteurized liquid egg whites from the store-- next to the Egg Beaters and other liquid egg products. I'm a bit paranoid and using the pasteurized egg whites just makes me a bit less paranoid (not to mention I get tired of separating eggs sometimes, unless I need the yolks for lemon curd or creme brulee). I still...
Thanks for your help, everyone. Based upon comments by cakedecor and leahs, I did decide to use the plastic separator plates and hidden pillars that I had on hand rather than use the double layers of cardboard I've used for much shorter stacked cakes. I'm glad I did! I did all the cutting of pillars and stacking on site (as planned) and all went well. When all was said and done the cake was stable and solid as a rock and I didn't have to worry about pillars or dowels...