Posts by TheCakeDude

Maaaan I just had a no show yesterday! I do my cake tastings free of charge, since I book a very high percentage of cakes consulted on, but lately a few of these no shows is making me reconsider a tasting fee... One woman scheduled a tasting, didnt show. We called her just before we closed that day, and she said "Oh, Ive been in the hospital since last night because I was dehydrated." Hate to sound insincere, but if you were there since last night you should've called!...
Even just a little gumpaste in the fondant should dry hard enough to stand up. Ive even used straight fondant if it has a good 3-4 days drying time and it isnt too thick! HTH
Thanks for all the good responses guys.... I know what I have to do, its just a bit tough to make the leap. I better sit down and type out that contract.....
If its a light color or white, I'd say go for it.... A darker color could fade if it isnt kept somewhere dark....Especially pink! I have a pink cake dummy in my shop, and I swear I have to re-airbrush it every 2 weeks from the fading, while all the other colors have been good for almost a year!
I get most of my standard cake boxes from my bakery supplier, BakeMark, but I get my specialty stuff from Big River Packaging. Heres a link:http://www.brpboxshop.comVery reliable company, and free shipping!
I've done it before, and never use crusting buttercreams.... Just make sure its nice and chilled before putting it on, otherwise it'll squish into the buttercream too much!
Okay, so I opened my own cake shop almost a year ago, and one issue that seems to keep arising is customers that want a small wedding cake topper from us, and then they, or their aunt, grandma, etc, will be making their own cupcakes in order to save money.Now, I don't want to turn into a snobby baker that only allows my dessert served at the event, but at the same time, what if those cupcakes are terrible? And everyone asks "Who made the Cake?""Oh, Sublime Cake Design made...
Looks like the attachment didnt work, heres a link!http://imgur.com/ewZeb
I have made a pretty realistic hay bale by piping buttercream thru a large multi hole tip. Just do straight lines over the top, and spikies on the 2 sides. Ill attach a pic...
Another tip I might add, is that to get a perfect drip pattern, I fill a piping bag with the warmed ganache, and pipe "scallops" if you will, over the edge, so that you can control the spacing between drips. Looks a lot cleaner than letting it randomly pour over the edges!