Posts by Evoir

So...you were really excited to try it, or you had a negative feeling about it from the start? Your first post says both? . Regardless, the problem was simply that you did not set each tier upon a level surface, ie carved a flat, level surface into the tops of you bottom and middle tiers, to place your middle and top tiers respectively. There are some great tutorials and DVDs out there to take you step by step through the process. In a nutshell though: It is vital you...
Oh, I'm a pretty small-time operator :-)  I have decreased my volume output to focus more on quality, custom stuff and teaching and a few other irons in the fire...Don't ever feel you need to 'compete' with anyone - just run your own race and do what you do, well!
Agreed. If that is the only alternative, and the customer agrees to it, then you will have to make, freeze and give to the customer. However, I would probably also offer a 10% discount for their understanding.
Personally I would cancel and give the customer all their money back...do you have another decorator in the area who could take this on for you?   This is an unforeseen event, and it is not unacceptable to cancel an order for a death in the family. However, I would do everything possible to make sure the client has an alternative source.
It sounds to me that you have done a lot of research and are on the right track, but I would hope someone in the Florida area will chip in with their perspective and experience based on your state.   One thing that affects me as a home-based business where I live, is having the appropriate Food Safety accreditation. Where I am its called an FSS certificate (Food Safety Supervisor) but its all about being proficient on safe food handling and storage, and cleaning etc....
Can you explain what it is you are trying to achieve with your sponge painting? All-over cover, or stencilling or something else?
You can use a dried corn husk leaf (the green outer covering of a corn cob)...I still use these for some flowers/leaves I make. Costs nothing (if you're already eating the corn!)
It doesn't necessarily have to be silver/silver plate for it to get a discolouration from the dishwasher. I've had this happen to a metal tray once. The detergent powders used are highly alkaline and can cause discolouration and pitting.
I work from an approved home-based kitchen. And I have a whole decorating workshop as well. And this suits our family at present as I get to be around the home more for the kids etc. I chose this rather than a storefront years ago, for health and lifestyle reasons (I have a chronic auto-immune illness). BUT...I still have a very big part of me inside that would LOVE a storefront! I have built a cafe from the ground up before and loved that whole process. I'd now want to...
Jen, yep you can sure build up the design with gum paste. Add some tylose to your fondant colours and it will set firmly. If you are using a covered cardboard (I would use an exacto knife to cut the silhouette from a silver cake cardboard), use a thin thin smear of edible glue (make your own if you don't have any...add a 1/4 tsp of cellogen/CMC to several TBSP water...use within 24 hours though), to glue your bits of gum paste on. Hope this helps. We were all beginners...