Posts by Evoir

You can do it either way. I usually just do it straight after covering.
It's just a way to get limited raising. To create the mud texture. You can substitute the plain+SR Mixture with all plain/AP + a reduced amount of baking powder to what you'd usually use to make self-raising flour (2 tsps baking powder to 1 metric cup plain flour).
Just look down there in the signature area | | | | | | V
I made this cake almost identically a few months ago. You can just bake a couple 12" square layers in a firm carve-able cake, and carve your train engine, cart and carriage from these. Stack and fill to create your higher parts. Use a small flat spatula to apply your ganache. Cover each part with one piece of fondant, the cut out all your small pieces of fondant to use as the decorations. It's a bit fiddly, but a fun cake to make! I have a pic of mine on my FB page.
Wow! First wedding cake, huh? That is certainly jumping into the deep end. I agree with the above posters re: custom armature/support. The last seriously tricky tall and complicated cake I made had carved styro double tiers in the middle of 9 tiers...I set aside almost 3 weeks to work on it in total, which was the primary reason it cost the client three grand. (I used three centre dowels through the tricky parts in the middle, by the way). My advice having done big fancy...
Council rules and regulations vary from one council to the next. You need to speak to yours first and foremost, if you intend to make your product at home. Without council approval ALL of the following are not an issue because you cannot bake and sell out of your home.   If you are renting you need to check your lease - most residential leases do not permit the running of a business from the premises, let alone a food business.   Other considerations before you...
Nice effort on your first fondant cake! My three piping tips: 1. Get your icing consistency perfect, and test it with your intended tip on a piece of scrap paper before starting on your cake. 2. When you pipe, keep the tip up off the surface, and let the icing fall onto the cake, rather than keeping the tip close and scraping the cake occasionally. This helps eliminate jagged bits of piping when you want nice smooth curves. 3. When using royal icing, only put a few...
I usually do all mine with ETOH as well, I have done an alcohol-free fruit cake on occasion, and its really much more fruit than cake, and its super moist and yummy....is there any way you can simply up the moisture of your fruitcake by adding more fruit to the recipe, and then leave out the booze altogether? Maybe worth doing a test run.
This is a great lesson for everyone who has ever worried about asking for permission from the copyright/IP owner! It's worth a try!
You can get shrinkage with overheating your batter (activating the flour gluten excessively), baking too long, and IMO also from letting it cool too long in the pan.