Posts by Marianna46

And it sounds like you probably never will, galidink! Somebody should start at list of cake-decorating supplies that don't exist but should.
Great advice, catlharper and Godot, and it will be my policy from now on! This course kind of got set up on the spur of the moment and the woman who owns the studio where I would be giving it thought several of her students would be interested. Not so much, as it turns out, but now that I have the instructions, the patterns and the list of materials together, I'll start promoting it around the end of September next year and get at least 50% of everyone's non-refundable...
Hahaha, Mozon, I just saw where you live. I guess the only thing we have in common is the heat and the sand! Best of luck with your cake!
I bought a pack of 500 white liners from GSA a while back (don't remember the brand, but they were very inexpensive). Not only does the grease leak through, but thye all "bloomed" so much the minute I opened the package that I couldn't get them into my cupcake tins without the edges overlapping on themselves, which makes your cupcakes look awful. So I plunked down some money for better ones and it helped all around.
Where I live (hot and, especially, humid), I wouldn't trust gumpaste to hold the luggage up (RKTs can be heavier than you think!), but it might work. I think I'd try pastillage or Mexican paste. And I'm not just saying that because I live in Mexico! Hahaha! I just recently tried some of that, and it worked wonderfully for a couple of cakes where I needed a few really sturdy pieces. Pastillage is also very sturdy, but it's kind of hard to work with, I find. Hope you find...
A propos of nothing in particular, I noticed the other day while I was in Home Depot that they have two grades of PVC - one for incoming water and one for sewage disposal. I don't suppose that copper is the same, is it? I'm a big Press 'N' Seal fan myself.
Beautiful cakes, tdovewings! I love it when you can learn something from what you're doing. I didn't check in to this discussion on Friday because I was running around like crazy trying to get the materials, ingredients and instruction sheets together for a gingerbread house course I was starting Saturday morning. Got over to the place and nobody showed up! Oh, well, I have everything I need for next year, when I will plan the advertising more carefully and give myself...
This recipe is actually very similar to boiled custard, except for the fact that it has no eggs in it. -K8memphis's idea of heating the flour with some of the butter is the fool-proof way to make lump-free gravy, so it will probably work splendidly here, too. I've tried to make this in a regular pot (I don't have a double boiler and my recipe called for just a normal pot, anyway) and it burned every time. I think it's time for me to invest in a double boiler, because...
Probably not a good idea to have the bottom tier of a cake this size be a dummy. Dummies are light in weight and one at the bottom of a 5-tier cake would make the cake topheavy.
I agree with -K8memphis (and, believe me, she has lots of experience!). I use a board every 4 inches (every two layer, if I'm lucky!), not only for the support, but for the serving size.