Posts by Marianna46

I thoroughly enjoyed your explanation, dinmauk! Thanks for taking the time to write it. Actually, charging per portion has less to do with the number of servings you will really be getting from the cake and more to do with how to charge for the size cake you're making. In fact, when most people do sculpted cakes, they charge for the number of servings you get from the cake before you cut it down to size, because you actually had to make all that cake in order to get what...
No problem at all for that amount of time. Once you ice it and put it back in the fridge, the stabilized cream will set and hold its shape (for days, even, but I'm sure it would go bad long before that!).
Good idea about the corrugated cardboard boxes, Jenn123. You probably COULD stack those 2-deep. You just need to really make sure the boxes are fitted tightly together in the trunk and stuff towels, newspaper or anything else you can into the extra space, so they won't move around. And even so, use something anti-skid under them. I wasn't even thinking about the baking and decorating part. If you haven't already started, definitely bake and freeze today (if it's for this...
Well, now that I have more information, I'm a lot less nervous than I was! The smaller the topper, the easier the transport will be, plus it's not like you're going on a 4-hour trip to get it there. I think a dowel on each side will be enough, and of course it will help that you're using both ganache and fondant to cover. If you don't already do it, use some anti-skid material underneath the cake when you're transporting it, and put it on a VERY level surface (I usually...
I've used Dream Whip and it works. It also tastes very good. Because I live in a very hot and humid climate, I always stabilize my whipped cream, no matter what I use (Bettercreme, Dream Whip, etc.), except for Cool Whip and the pre-whipped  Bettercreme, which come already pretty much stabilized. For stabilizing, I usually add about a tablespoon of gelatin (dissolved and bloomed in 2-3 tablespoons of water and then melted in the microwave) to every pint (2 cups) of...
I would be leery of stacking decorated cakes in regular cake boxes, although I would certainly try to transport the cakes boxed, just to keep them clean. Also, lay in a good supply of something that will prevent skidding to put under the cakes. This stuff has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Is there any way you could start really early and make two trips? That way, you could un-box the first nine and bring those boxes back for the second trip. I don't know...
If I were doing this cake, I think I would measure my own oven and scale down. If you're using square pans, you'll probably need to trim some off one side because ovens are actually rectangular. Then you can figure out the height proportional to what you come up with for length and width. What a cool project, by the way - I've always wanted to make a cake either like that or like a washing machine. Please let me know how yours works out.
You can vary your frosting flavor a lot just by adding extracts or flavoring oils (like LoRan's). Even if they add a little bit of color - and not all of them will - they will still be a nice pastel. In the past few months, I've used these oils to make cinnamon, orange, tangerine, lemon, key lime, grapefruit and raspberry frostings using my trusty SugarShack's buttercream (or sometimes Indydebi's - both are in the recipe section here) and adding the flavoring I choose,...
This is not an easy problem to solve, the way I see it. do you have to take it very far? I think your idea of putting a dowel down into each layer is probably the best way to go, or maybe even two dowels into each side. What diameter are your cakes? Maybe it won't be such a problem if the cakes are smallish. I wish you the best of luck on this one.
The other posts are on the link posted by ApplegumPam just above yours. I checked it out and it has a lot of good information.