Posts by Marianna46

Oh, boy, that sure IS too much sugar! All my scratch recipes have about half as much sugar (by volume) as flour - say a cup of sugar for two cups of flour. This one has twice as much sugar as flour, by weight, of course, but it still can't be right.
The voice of reason, as always, scp1127! Your expertise as a businessperson is always welcome and helpful.
I live in a hot, humid place where regular fondant will just not hold together. When I'm going to cover a cake with fondant (I generally use ready-made), I prepare it first by mixing in a slug of CMC (2-4 tablespoons per pound) and a little vegetable shortening (1-2 tablespoons per pound). If it still seems too limp to work with, I add a little more powdered sugar, as well. It's helped immensely with the tearing (plus rolling it to 1/4" instead of 1/8"). You might give...
I just spent the morning baking and used the batter-up-the-of-the-pan method (how come I never thought to do that before?). It really helped my cakes rise evenly, even more than they do with just the bake-even strips. I want to try the parchment-with-ungreased-sides method, too. That's the way angel food cakes get their height, but I'd never thought of trying it with regular cakes. Thanks for the tip, BakingIrene and costumeczar.
Another suggestion, that I got from a CCer a couple of years ago: make the buttercream for the dam thick enough (by adding more powdered sugar) to roll out a rope by hand. Roll it out and place it around the edge of the cake. I've done this several times and there's nothing that can break through that barrier - unless you're filling your cakes with the monster that devoured Cleveland! I always stabilize my whipped cream with gelatin (a tablespoon of gelatin bloomed in...
Thanks for the invitation. I'll try to get organized enough to do it before the Christmas rush is upon us!
I'm no fan of Jell-o (the ready-flavored stuff), either, costumeczar,but I love doing things with gelatin. It's just so versatile. And, of course, I was just thinking out loud, so I have no idea how it would actually behave. I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl in one of my "lab sessions", where I just spend a couple of hours trying things out to see what happens. I guess I could try a side-by-side test of glaze, shortening, piping gel and gelatin on fondant to see which...
Oh, I don't know, if you painted liquid gelatin on the unmasked parts, it  probably wouldn't even alter the taste of the cake. I was also thinking piping gel.
I don't know the answer to this, but I know where you can get it. There's a chart on the Wilton site (www.wilton.com) that tells how many servings each size two-layer tier gives, how many cups of batter you need and how much icing/fondant you need to cover it. That ought to tell you in a heartbeat how to get the servings you want out of two round tiers.
I rhink she was talking about the glossy contrast on the next tier up, costumeczar, although I liked your advice about how to get that glow on the chevrons. And I think your answer is applicable to the other tier, too: I would mask the matte parts and paint the stripes with a clear glaze.