Posts by Marianna46

The higher weight limit would be a must, of course, but that pull-out display is genius! I weigh my unbaked cake layers (to make sure the batter is evenly distributed between layers before baking). When the cake is over 8", I can hardly get the thing on my scale without covering up the read-out. I'm going to see about getting one of those the next time I have to buy a scale.
I've actually never heard of this. Maybe it has to do with the pans they have on hand or with simplifying their ordering system. Also, it forces you to buy more cake than you need. If you need cake for 23, you can't get cake for 24 or 25, but automatically get bumped up to 30!
Yes, it's happened to me, too. I think that whatever they use to turn it clear stops working after a while. I've just decided just to stop worrying about the slight ivory tint that regular vanilla gives, because it's really VERY slight and not worth having to buy new clear vanilla every few months.
Yes, chocolate fondant is the way I would go. Satin Ice makes a very tasty one or, if you want to make your own, I'd recommend a variation of Michele Foster's recipe - it's here in the recipe section.
 I don't know about the color, but you might get a BMW logo image from the internet, size it so it will fit on your cake, and hand cut the letters. I don't have a very clear picture in my mind of what this logo looks like, but if the only letters are B, M and W, this shouldn't be too had to do.
Great cake! I love art deco!
Well, okay, I've been doing a little research on the internet and it seems that the basic ingredient in these chips is something called "grasa láurica", which I have no idea how to translate into English, except that it is some kind of fat. What the internet says about it is that it is indeed a fat used as a substitute for cocoa butter in chocolate products, so maybe my info wasn't so wrong after all. It has the decided advantage that if you overheat the "chocolate"...
Anna, the stuff I use are Dolcezza chips. They're made here in Mexico by a chocolate company called Turin. In all honesty, that's what I was told, but now that I'm taking a closer look at the ingredients on the label, I'm not sure my information is totally correct, but they do taste a lot better than your standard candy melts.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the candy coating vs. chocolate part of the debate. Real chocolate all the way, although the candy melts I get are basically chocolate that has had the cocoa butter removed and substituted with some other kind of vegetable fat, so it's not totally gross.
I think you're right about that, leah_s. If I use icing at all, it's just the tiniest bit. If the cake needs binding, I prefer to moisten it with a little liqueur or other alcoholic beverage - Bailey's, rum, limoncello, etc. That's why I liked the idea of the coffee creamers and the unsweetened cream for a non-alcoholic but not overly sweet version. I also like to add nuts and chopped dried fruits when the occasion calls for it.