Posts by Marianna46

Cute infographic, but you're right about saving your money for an Agbay, leah_s. I would never use a cake pop baker, because as far as I'm concerned, the only reason for making cake pops in the first place is to use cake left over from leveling and trimming! LOL. That said, I might invest in a roller if I find out they really work and take less time than rolling balls by hand. But where I live, you can't get either a cake pop roller or an Agbay, so I guess this...
Hi, Rosie2, it's been a while since I've been on here, but it's great to see you here. Indydebi, as usual, you are the voice of reason, and I'm thrilled to see your input once more. I've been away because I moved and don't have internet service at my house yet (and am not likely to for some time, unfortunately), not because I'm unhappy with the site. I find it perfectly navigable.
That was a really beautiful cake! I know it took a lot of time, as did the other things you did for the wedding, but I can see you enjoyed it all and that it made all the difference to your day. Congratulations on making your wedding day the one you and your husband wanted!
Thanks for the info about the original decorator, AppleGumPam. What lovely things she has on her Facebook page! I gave her a Like so I'll be able to see more of her stuff.
Great cake! I commend you for your patience in doing those henna designs. I really love those designs, but I have basically no piping skills (something I proved to myself once more not two hours ago!).
You could do the innermost petals with a 5-petal cutter (or with a cutter that cuts individual petals, I'm just partial to the 5-petal one) and do the outside petals with a larger single-petal cutter. I think the main difference between this flower and a more traditional rose is the way the edges of the petals are shaped - more gently waved than curled back. I'd say that that's what makes it look like a cross between a rose and a gardenia, too. Best of luck with this, by...
I'd say it was a rose, too. Just without the top edges of the petals curled back like you see on a lot of roses. But I'd definitely do it with a rose cutter, either the 5-petal kind or the one that cuts individual petals.
Good question, AtomicBakes. I would freeze any kind of buttercream, but I don't know about cream cheese-based frostings, either. Be sure to let us know what happens with your experiment. I don't know whether you can freeze pudding-based things, either.
This is great advice that I'll be taking to heart now that I've decided to set up a Facebook account for my cake business. Yeah, I know, I'm really late to the party - and to think I used to be a total tech geek =).
My two-cents worth is this, Atomic Bakes: freezing your layers has the important advantage of helping them retain moisture. I always do it. I've read in several threads here that some people level, fill, stack and crumb-coat cakes before freezing them, so it must work. If it's not a cake with fresh fruit or cream in it (and you probably couldn't freeze those, anyway), there doesn't seem to be any reason for thawing in the fridge over thawing on the counter. The one big...