Posts by cakesdivine

Ok, even if you make minimum wage then $35 makes no profit.  Ganache is expensive to make, and fondant is also expensive.  $45 is cheap!
I would rather err on the side of caution than keep my order forms up and get fined because of it.  My order forms had Paypal button links that the person used to make payments on large orders or immediately pay for small/1 item orders.  They could pick up the item at my shop or have it delivered.  I only deal locally. 
Not in Texas
My location has been plagued with issues over the last several months.  My shop has flooded 7 times in the last 2 months due to rain, twice due to my 3 sink leaking, and once from a pipe breaking in the ceiling.  Also learned that a grocery store was going in across the street from my location which would surely put me totally out of business.  My area is feast or famine.  I am in a tourist town.  During the summer my business booms, during the school year you can hear the...
So sorry just saw this post.  The levels are based on difficulty.  It is up to you how you determine what constitutes the different levels of difficulty.  To me a level 3 is something with lots of ornate flower, or gumpaste figures, 3D sculpting, Lambeth method, Mad Hatter or other gravity defying types of architecture.  Level ones have side piping or easy figure piping, use of edible images, etc., Level 2 decor that falls inbetween Levels 1 & 3.  Basic of course is very...
Yes, I use square for my credit card processing.  You get a free card reader and if on an iPad it has a full POS system with the square register app.  I love the reports.  But at the moment there isn't an inventory section, but they are working on that.  The reports easily download to Microsoft Excel.  I use Cake Boss to keep my orders organized.
That is odd about Square.  I get my money the very next day as long as the charge happened by 5pm Central time on Thursday (7pm PT).  The only time we ever had a hold was when I processed very large amount ($5000) and had to key it in instead of swiping.  I contacted them;, I filled out an online form and they released it immediately. The money was in my bank the next morning!  I get my Friday Saturday and Sunday money all on Monday morning, never had an issue.  Their...
I am glad you decided to decline.  If you lowball now you will forever be known as the cheap cake lady, and you will never turn a profit and it will be near impossible to raise your rates later on.  It isn't worth doing unless you can make a profit, many new cake artists especially those doing it from home underestimate the cost involved with being a business.  And if you sell it even for one cent you are a business!  But also, NO ONE should be doing copyrighted cakes. ...
 I do believe I was the originator of this thread and there was absolutely NOTHING in my post about other cakers, them being legal or not.  It was about clients having unrealistic expectations for their cakes and ways of educating them of what to expect.  Another person stated that it would be a good idea to for cakers to post pics and prices for their area and so forth.  You hijacked my thread I am asking to please get off the darn legal or illegal statements...there are...
You are so off base here.  Yes you can determine skill level, dance is an art form, gymnastics is an art form, ice skating is an art form, singing is an art form  ALL have skill level designations of beginner, intermediate, advanced, and elite/expert/master.  Those who say you can't designate ability because it is art is usually someone who has little or no talent in it, but has a heart for it.  It is a Montessori attitude to have.  Same reasoning that gave way to not...