Posts by AlixsCakes

Simply amazing. Thank you for taking the time to explain and share your wonderful work.
Thank you both. Maybe I'll try the ganache again, the instructions look great.I'm not sure if chocolate clay is the same as chocolate paste, but maybe I'll try it again without the water and see what happens.fingers crossed!
Hello everyoneCan any one advise me as the best way to make a milk chocolate cake covering (for a 10" round birthday cake).I really like getting a smooth finish on cakes, and usually use ready-bought chocolate fondant, but the taste isn't great and it isn't a 'milk chocolate' flavour. I've seen a recipe for chocolate paste using choclate, water and glucose. tried it last night but 'broke' it - I think it got too hot. If other people say it works, I'll give it another...
Wow - that is beautiful brushwork - I must watch the video. I find the US recipes a bit hard to translate sometimes - I don't think we have corn syrup in the UK? Does anyone know what a suitable substitute is?It looks like I should look out for some Spectrum colours rather than the Squires ones, which I have at the moment, I've had similar problems with the Squires black in the past.Also, thanks for the extra beating tip - I'll give that a try too.Lots to keep me busy for...
Brilliant - I'll give all of those tips a try. Thank you.
Hello againI just want to say quickly how much I love this site and how great it is to be able to call on all your expertise - you've all been such a great help.. Thanks again!! OK, now for the question. How di you make white buttercream? It seems that cake-makers in the US use buttercream a lot and it looks great, but I don't understand how it is white!! My recipes all use icing sugar and butter and the 'base' colour is always cream / yellow, and it never looks as...
Brilliant - thanks again folks. The wedding's not till May but I think I'd better get started making several squillion sugar roses...
Hi allI've got a newbie question for you all.I'm making a wedding cake for someone that I know. She has asked if she can have a cake like one she has seen in a magazine, by a well known cake designer. I have never based a cake design on anyone else's work before - where do I stand in terms of 'copyright / plagiarism" issues. The cake won't be the same but it will probably clearly be based on the design from the magazine.Is this OK? Thanks in advance
I just wanted to say thanks again for your calming advice. It all worked out fine in the end - there was only one section which hd to be replaced as it had got wet. I used ganache AND fondant in the end as I wasn't happy with the finish and I've attached a photo of the result.Thanks againAlix
Thank you both for your time and expertise.Fingers crossed!