Posts by RosemaryGalpin

[quote="mmmmmmmmcake1954"]I used PayPal last week and got my Cricut Cake in 4 days with absolutely no problems. I spoke to an agent from PayPal who assured me that there would be no problems with abuse later with their security. I say grab one now, I even got free shipping!
Definitely cover the board with edible material! Apply a thin layer of fondant or gum paste with whatever edible adhesive you prefer. Let is set a bit and then add a design with an impression mat, impression rolling pin, rubber stamps or even a raised kitchen placemat. Allow to dry and dust for depth or to add shimmer if desired. Cover the drum edge with a coordinating/contrasting ribbon depending on your design. It only takes a few extra minutes but it gives your cakes a...
Based on personal experience, rum is not the best choice for painting. You want an alcohol that evaporates quickly for drying. Vodka does a good job while rum takes much longer. I prefer Everclear. I'm not sure if it is available nationwide but it is by far the best I have found for it's fast drying properties. Could be the fact that it's 90 proof LOL!
I feel like Karen does about flowers. I make my own and enjoy the process. I research the flower and make my own cutters and texture mats. After a busy week at my full-time job, there is nothing more relaxing than creating beautiful flowers while listening to a good book on my iPod. But I do understand a busy, full-time baker's need to out source their flowers and I see nothing wrong with that.
Don't get discouraged orchid001982. I tried straight fondant the first time I used my Criket and felt the same way. It kept bogging up and pulling up the design. I packed it up and didn't touch it again for three months! Then I started reading forums and blogs with tips on products and techniques that worked for other cakers. Out came the Criket and things started to get better. I learned that very thin gum paste was by far the best medium to use. I took a mini class with...
I'm sorry to say I cannot recall the bakers name that demonstrated this technique at San Antonio's DOS last year but it is a fun way to utilize your fondant scraps. Cut circles of black and smaller ones of white out of your scraps. Spray one side of circles very lightly with vegetable spray and placed them on a piece of fondant (in this case pink) big enough to cover your tier. Roll over everything several times with a heavy rolling pin to impress and distort the circles....
I've noticed that Buddy (Cake Boss) and his crew frequently use the commercial 1" sheet pans to create their cakes. You can plainly see they are not leveled before hand and are pretty even. I guess they have also worked out the proper amounts and temps to acheive level cakes. The one inch sheets make it a snap to ice without torting. I've been thinking of giving it a try myself. I recently took a class from Janette Pfertner who mentioned that she trims the sides off all...
Cocobean, do not let fabric shops intimidate you! Adopt my philosophy, "she who DIES with the most fabric WINS!" In fact, after reading all the great suggestions here, I think I'll apply that same philosophy to collecting cake recipes! P.S. You better get REAL busy if you want to beat me in the fabric collection department...LOL!