Posts by ddaigle

Cakefat...I guess it's all relative.   When you live in a town where it is relatively cheap to live there....than a $30 cake isn't shocking...or slave labor.   It's the norm.   But some customers will throw that theory out of the window too if a custom cake is thier "thing".  For some it's shoes and purses, etc.  I remember may people coming into the bakery who would forgo their months groceries to buy a custom cake on their food stamp card.   We wouldn't take it...but...
Wow Anna & pam....... that is amazing. And wonderful for you to get that pricing. Not In a gazillion years it would cost that in here....but I really am intrigued but all the different pricing.
I dunno Mimi...guess I'm just old and cranky...but I am intrigued about what people charge for their cakes...but Im talking about the people that know what they are doing..and that are charging correctly.    I love to hear the different prices.   I think we are all so frustrated with the undercharging threads here that we get in the defense and attack ALL pricing.  I really try not to get involved in those threads because they just put me in a bad mood...and I want to come...
I think we also need to take in account of our market.  Here, a double 8" butter cream cake (borders only) sells for about $25-$30.   If you call 15 bakeries around here, that is the norm.   Not that is not to say you can charge what you want...but the cost of living here is much different than NYC or California...or over seas.     Sometimes the responses are insulting.   I understand you live in a high cost area or can easily get $95 for an 8" double cake.   It ain't...
I still put flavorings in the dough MB...put it in royal & dough
It's a high ratio shortening called PS99...I get it in 50lb block.
You can also by 1" pieces of styrofoam.  The dollar tree, walmart & Hobby Lobby sells 1" square pieces.  Then you don't have to hassle with the RKT.
My single layer( but split & filled)  8x13 (qtr sheet) serves 20-25
I would never use these pans due to the uneven baking and I've also heard the angle is not steep enough.   If you make your cut in one swipe, and flip that piece up...there should be no waste and you will have a nice angle.
I used to use a butter/crisco recipe.  The grit is from your powdered sugar.   There are different brands that give different results.   When I used that recipe, I creamed my crisco until smooth like sour cream...then added the butter and again, creamed until all smooth.    If your icing is too soft, then you need to add more powdered sugar..or less liquid.   I use a 2 1lb bag of PS to a cup of butter & a cup of shortening.   Liquid varies to your consistency desired, but...