Posts by gigiel

Thank you winniemog!  I will try this at once.  I went ahead & tried to melt them on stovetop in double boiler, added a little corn syrup as it looked as if the candy was getting very hot and not completely melting, was not 100% pleased with results, however it could be used.  Will try your idea as soon as oven preheats. 
Make my own hard/rock candy perhaps?
Does anybody know how to melt Glacier mints properly?  Double bolier over low, med, high heat?  Microwave?  Add other ingredients to help them melt?  I only have a few & don't want to risk ruining them. Thanks!
Very ambitious project & nicely done!  They must've loved it : )  Thanks for posting detailed pics.  They make a nice tutorial. 
  Either the above or to make it easier, do scope mounts like this ^ maybe.  use Styrofoam under pvc  to hold the mount up.  Just cut a curved cradle out to hold the pvc flush.  Continue to support as needed. HTH.
if you are making only the scope you can drive the dowels through the board on the bottom for extra support into your baseboards.  for the underneath side of the scope, if you can, cut a pvc into halves (approx.) (lengthwise) and let rkt or cake sit in the pvc pipe, have pre-drilled holes (a little smaller than the dowel rods going into the board) drilled into the pvc pipe and fit the dowels (tight, snug fit) into the top part of the pvc which will be supporting the...
Ended up using buttercream.  Despite all the concern, it held up well.  (& i'll use that Bettercream for something later as it freezes well.)  Thanks again!
Went ahead & bought the BETTERCREAM. Testing both tomorrow. No better way to find out than doing it myself : ) Just really concerned with the heaviness of buttercream & saw a blog where the buttercream roses SLID down the side of the cake.  Soon I will know.    Thanks for the votes!  I did some research online & looks as if buttercream is the popular answer.  SMBC &IMBC look like good options too, however, not wanting to do icing w/eggs (whites or otherwise.)  Thank you...
Bought the BETTERCREAM.  Testing both tomorrow.  No better way to find out than doing it myself  : )  Just really concerned with the heaviness of buttercream & saw a blog where the buttercream roses SLID down the side of the cake.  *Not on my watch    Happy caking.