Posts by cupadeecakes

Yes, by all means, put the butter back in BUTTERcream! I use an all-butter buttercream and my customers rave over it!Here's a link to the recipe I use... HTH!
I agree with Mimi - your response and post was very professional. You wl have LOTS of people wanting to haggle with you. Unfortunately lots of "bride advice" sites/blogs are all telling brides to go for the throat on haggling. The ONLY way I drop my price is if they get less cake or I do less work; but I always tell them I am more than willing to work with their budget and give them all the cake they can afford.
When I first saw this I thought it was cute, but then I saw the price. It could be the greatest thing ever, but from the pictures I would question its durability.
When I use an impression mat on buttercream, I make sure my cake is nice and cold before using. I also use an all-butter buttercream, so I'm not sure how this will work on other recipes.While the cake is nice and cold and the icing is nice and stiff I will roll the impression mat against the cake. It will just leave an indentation of the lines. I then go back with a quilting roller (or even a knife if I want a nice deep grove) and just follow the lines. HTH!
I use the paddle attachment.
I raise my prices every year or so regardless of food prices. My skills improve every year and if I worked at the grocery store bakery I would get a raise every year. How is this any different?* I will admit that the first time I had a price increase I was scared to death; scared that all my customers would run screaming that I raised my per serving price by 10 cents! Nobody even noticed!
I went to a Chattanooga Cake Club meeting last week where they did a demo on cake bouquets. They stapled small plastic drink cups together (the cupcakes just fit into the opening) until the cups fit inside the container/basket. Then they decorated the cupcakes and just popped them into the cup mold. With the sides stapled together it made for a nice mounding effect and looked very natural.
I charge a per serving fee for buttercream cakes. If you want fondant then that adds to the per serving price. For detail work, I estimate the number of hours and charge $25/hour as an "art fee". To me, it makes for a much more consistent pricing scale.
I think you did great, especially for your first fondant cake! Your fondant looks smooth and your crown is standing up nicely.As far as where you can get your luster dusts, you can Google N?u Silver Luster Dust, but I usually get mine online at Global Sugar Art or Pheil & Holing.
I understand that it's hard to turn down business, and if you need the money then I understand taking the order.BUT! IF you don't make pies, then you will have to do some work to figure out how much you need to charge for those pies in order to make money. Will figuring out the costs involved (including finding a recipe you like) worth the sale? Guess at a price and you could be losing money! And if you sell them one batch of pies, are you willing to sell to them...