Posts by cupadeecakes

I only use a non-crusting, all-butter buttercream, but I find it especially helpful when I do carved cakes.  Depending on the cake, there may be small nooks and crannies that have to get iced.  Lots of times I will crumb coat with a spatula and then do "micro" coats of buttercream using my hands.  The heat from my hands helps to thin the BC slightly.  I will then refrigerate between coats.  When I'm done I have a very nice, smooth finish to work with.  HTH!
Depending on the cake I either use regular drinking straws or bubble tea straws for support in each tier, and then use a wooden dowel for the master dowel that runs vertically through all the tiers.
Add an "a" in there at the end... "RogueCocoa" and it's even more appropriate! ;-) "Rogue Street Cakes" has a nice ring to it, but be prepared to explain to everyone you speak to "No, actually we're located on {Elm Street}."  Almost 10 years in business and I still have people calling asking for "Dee".  I explain to them that I'm Jenniffer the owner; there is no "Dee" and sometimes they'll still say "No, last time I called Dee helped me." SMH!
If you're still in WV, you may want to check on the Cottage Food Laws in your area first.  Last I remember, WV's CFLs were very restrictive.  We don't want you going TOO rogue!   To answer your question(s), I built a commercial kitchen on to my house, so I am still considered a "home business".  I decided to leave bakery out of my name because I didn't want to encourage walk-in traffic.  I still have the occasional visitor just stopping by to see what I have on hand, but...
I could never get all the fondant off my first dummies without tearing them up horribly, sometimes even after soaking for a while.  Then I tried putting on a thin layer of Crisco on the dummies before the fondant and it really made a big difference.  Now I just toss them in hot water for about 5 minutes and the fondant will slide right off, and the dummies look just like new!
Yeah, I didn't even think about size, I guess I just always assume it's for a grand affair! :-)  I do like the idea of RKT for the back, but I would run several skewers though them into the cake board for extra stability.  I have been thinking WAY too much about this cake.  You could even use an acetate sheet (or other thin clear plastic to make a "glass top" for the pinball machine.  It would only take a few strips of modeling chocolate to give you clearance.  Good luck! ...
I would use foamcore for the back of the pinball machine and if the cake part will be elevated (on legs) I would use some "L" brackets to attach the back of the pinball machine to the board that the cake rests on.  Just compensate for the height of the cake when making the back.  If you need legs I would use dowels that were affixed to the cake board and then secured to a master cake board.  Hope that makes sense, sound like a fun cake to do!
Raspberry jam/preserves mixed with buttercream makes an excellent filling.  Just make sure you get seedless raspberry jam/preserves.
Are you leaving the skewer exposed on the bottom of the figure?  anytime I make a figure I will leave about 2 inches of skewer at the bottom of my figure so it can be inserted into the cake.  I even tape a skewer or straw onto those monogram toppers that only have a half-inch stubs at the bottom.   If they're really big or heavy, I would take @Smckinney07's advice and put it on it's own cake board with support underneath.
LOL!  You are correct; a proper fanboy (or girl) would never mix Marvel and DC, or cross the streams for that matter!