Posts by cupadeecakes

This is my go-to chocolate cake when I plan on carving, and it is delicious!   http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-stout-cake-recipe   I normally don't, but freezing cakes works just fine.  I double wrap mine in cling wrap and they'll still be yummy a month or more later   Don't feel lost, just do your best and your hubby will love whatever you give him!
It was just a regular stencil, made out of plastic, I guess.  I have cut my own using card stock... they don't last long, but they work pretty good too. It's important to get the stencil off the cake fairly quickly, but if the cake starts getting warm you can just get it cold again and continue later.  If there are any "boo-boos" you can get everything cold again and scrape it off with a sharp paring knife.
Get a good smooth coat of SMBC on that cake and then get it nice and cold.  Then you can stencil buttercream on buttercream.  I've done it several times and it looks great!   The bottom tier of this cake is all buttercream, just lay the stencil against the cold cake and go over it with your spatula with your colored buttercream.  The monogram is buttercream too, but on a fondant oval, if I remember correctly.  

I only use a non-crusting, all-butter buttercream, but I find it especially helpful when I do carved cakes.  Depending on the cake, there may be small nooks and crannies that have to get iced.  Lots of times I will crumb coat with a spatula and then do "micro" coats of buttercream using my hands.  The heat from my hands helps to thin the BC slightly.  I will then refrigerate between coats.  When I'm done I have a very nice, smooth finish to work with.  HTH!
Depending on the cake I either use regular drinking straws or bubble tea straws for support in each tier, and then use a wooden dowel for the master dowel that runs vertically through all the tiers.
Add an "a" in there at the end... "RogueCocoa" and it's even more appropriate! ;-) "Rogue Street Cakes" has a nice ring to it, but be prepared to explain to everyone you speak to "No, actually we're located on {Elm Street}."  Almost 10 years in business and I still have people calling asking for "Dee".  I explain to them that I'm Jenniffer the owner; there is no "Dee" and sometimes they'll still say "No, last time I called Dee helped me." SMH!
If you're still in WV, you may want to check on the Cottage Food Laws in your area first.  Last I remember, WV's CFLs were very restrictive.  We don't want you going TOO rogue!   To answer your question(s), I built a commercial kitchen on to my house, so I am still considered a "home business".  I decided to leave bakery out of my name because I didn't want to encourage walk-in traffic.  I still have the occasional visitor just stopping by to see what I have on hand, but...
I could never get all the fondant off my first dummies without tearing them up horribly, sometimes even after soaking for a while.  Then I tried putting on a thin layer of Crisco on the dummies before the fondant and it really made a big difference.  Now I just toss them in hot water for about 5 minutes and the fondant will slide right off, and the dummies look just like new!
Yeah, I didn't even think about size, I guess I just always assume it's for a grand affair! :-)  I do like the idea of RKT for the back, but I would run several skewers though them into the cake board for extra stability.  I have been thinking WAY too much about this cake.  You could even use an acetate sheet (or other thin clear plastic to make a "glass top" for the pinball machine.  It would only take a few strips of modeling chocolate to give you clearance.  Good luck! ...