Posts by dkltll

LOL! I recently posted about my DH's awesome bow making abilities! Ain't it great when they get in there & are actually helpful! I just made a cake & there really wasn't a whole lot I needed an extra hand with & I think he secretly got his feelings hurt. So, I guess I'll need lots of help on my mother's birthday cake. ;-}
WOW! I thought I had a bad experience with class; however, you take the cake! (pun definitely intended) You Tube has some really great videos that will show you techniques. After my miserable teaching experience I decided I could teach myself much better. Hobby Lobby sells the Wilton Course books & the Wilton decorating books. These will give you more info than what you're learning.If you can't get a refund then you better be a PITA student & get something useful out of...
BTWYour cakes are lovely! You do a beautiful job & I'm sure you're business will soon take off!
Oh you guys gotta stop, I'm sitting here at work alternating between laughing out loud & nodding my head in agreement (I think they're on to the fact that I'm not actually working).I was making a cake this weekend w/ gumpaste figures & my sweet DH came in & told me they were too good & I was spending too much time on a huge undertaking that I wasn't getting paid for. So, my addictive personality kicked in & I did what any self respecting addict would do, I rationalized!...
Hi, I am not a baker by trade but I am the Office Manager in a retail custom real wood furniture store so I understand a little about target audiences & niche businesses. You might try buying a mailing list, usually for about $24 depending on the size of your mailing. You can go to sites like directmail.com & specify income levels, homeowners vs renters, age groups, etc. to send your mailer to. You will then get a list that you can print onto mailing labels, attach those...
Just had to say, Thanks that was great! I guess my evil side came out b/c that actually made me laugh out loud!
Welcome to CC! if you go to the Forums there is MASSIVE information for beginners. Most people start w/ a class like Wilton's classes that are usually taugt at shops like Hobby Lobby & Michael's. If you can't find what you are looking for be specific & the lovely ladies & gentlemen on CC will be glad to offer advice & suggestions.Happy Caking!
Awesome inspiration! It's great to know that I do have a hope in hell of improving! I have noticed improvement w/ each cake but sometimes I think I will NEVER be on the same level as some of the others I see on here (present company included). Thank you for giving me a "thread" of hope. (Pun intended)
Wow!!! I am only a hobbyist and only do 1-2 cakes a month! I looked at your website & see why everyone loves your cakes! You do beautiful work! I hope you double that number in 2010!
Don't do it! If they want styrofoam let them go to the other bakeries. I am only a hobby baker but I usually tell my friends, "If it's not edible, I probably won't make it." I pride myself on being completely edible (except for structural issues) & I think that is what makes you stand out from the crowd. Don't conform! Just Say No!