Posts by dkltll

How about modeling chocolate? You can do a lot of the same things with chocolate as you can fondant. You can use white chocolate and color it whatever color you need. HTH
Michael's, Hobby Lobby & JoAnn's Fabrics are great places to find stuff. There is a fondant tool set (the tools have different colored handles & it comes in a box with a clear lid) that would be GREAT! There is also a fondant cutter (looks like a pizza cutter), different sized decorating bags, fondant mats (embossed), there are also fondant embossers (in tool kits with clear lids- should be near the other tools). Different sizes & shapes of spatulas is good to have....
Pretty much any tool or spatula. I can never have too many! Cutters, bags, embossers, embossing mats, gift certificate so she can go pickn what she needs, and the list goes on. Just go stand in the cake aisle & if it fits in the stocking....
The green color was probably gel or paste food coloring added to the fondant. The brown "staining" was painted on with gel or paste food coloring mixed with vodka or lemon juice and brushed on with a paint brush. They also make airbrush colors that you can spray on. HTH
Just keep adding red. I usually add different reds (red-red, christmas red, no taste red, etc. depending on the color I want). It will darken after it sits. I would get a color close to what I want & let it sit for a few hours as it will deepen. The only way is to just keep adding color. In the beginning I was afraid to use "too much" but I have often used a whole bottle of color to achieve the hue I needed. HTH
YumKat, NEVER use margarine! Real Butter & shortening (like Crisco (solid)- not oil). Margarine has too many other things in it & will often ruin your icing, cake, cookies, etc.... I have left my buttercream cakes out of the fridge (I don't like to eat cold cake), as long as the humidity is under control (65%-70% or lower) than you should not have any trouble with the BC melting or turning (curdling). If it's too humid or hot then it's advisable to keep it cool. Many...
Absolutely Parchment paper. Wax paper will melt (don't ask how I know this....).
I agree with Sparkle! Just Wow!
I live in the great humid state of Florida! I close all of my blinds, turn on the range fan, lower the A/C & use a box fan if necessary. I agree with the consensus to bake either early morn or late at night. It also helps to keep your hands cool (stick in the ice bin every now & then). HTH