Posts by brea1026

hmm- I use Butterdream Dream at a normal thickness that I use for all my cakes. The trick for me is sculpting the cake, then putting it back in the freezer for about 30 minutes- pre crumb coated. That way the loose inside peices can chill a bit. I made a lightning mcqueen today and my cakes were just box mixes (weird friend who only like this one particular flavor and no extenders- ugh!) anyways, it was really soft and a bit crumbly. After it went into the freezer for...
I made a Tutu cake a few years ago and the tutu was fondant rolled very thin. I started at the bottom and attached strips of the fondant and put marshmallows under it in intervals to give it some wave. then I let that dry for a bit and attached another row- repeating until you get to the top. You can see my cake in my photos, it is a few pages back. Good Luck!
I just did this last weekend. I made a giant box of McDonalds French Fries. It was about 16" tall. I carved and crumb coated- then I measured and cut my fondant. ***It used a 50/50 mix of satin ice and wilton. I know Wilton is gross, but the stabitlity is lends makes ALL the difference I think*** then I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes, It was still flexible when I took it out, but it was sturdy enought to lay against the side of the cake. I did 2 peices- one...
So- I just delivered a small 3 tier wedding cake. 6,8,10"- covere in fondant with some black piping on the front.About 2 miles from the reception, I was pulling off the freeway and a dog ran out onto the road. The car in front of me slammed on the breaks, I swerved and slammed on the breaks, the 3 tier cake completely toppled over, off the cake board and rolled around tha back of the van.Crazy enough the only damage was to the back! The top tier got a little smushed,...
I am not an expert in this because I live in AZ- so humidity is not usually a problem. We do have monsoon seasons here though and I ALWAYS refrigerate my cakes. I am hate having to finish a cake the same day it is due, it is just too stressful and I always end up feeling like I could have done better if...Anways, when it is humid here and my cakes start to sweat when I take them out of the fridge, I put them in front of a fan for about 10 minutes, rotating every few...
not sure why it wouldn't attach the pictures
Hi Everyone! I have been getting several questions about how I paint on my cakes, so I thought I would write a little post about it.The main thing you need to know is to start with smooth fondant, get good quality brushes, and liquid food coloring. I use airbrush color (because it is already a perfect consistency) but you can always use regular wilton gel colors and water them down a little with vodka or clear extract. I like to use a big ceramic plate to mix colors on...
haha! I just found one I made 5 years ago for my daughter. Classic!
Great Post! My first cake was about 4 years ago. My son was having a Curious George (the movie) party and it was so new that none of the grovery stores had the kits yet. I drew the picture of wax paper and did the thing where you poke holes into the buttercream as a guide. Here it is in all it's glory- haha! I quickly discovered that I am a much bigger fan of fondant then I am of the evil star tip!
I always use airbrush color when painting on cakes. It is perfect, always consistant and easy to use.