Posts by vicki3336

I'm so glad you posted this. I came on Cake Central today looking for the answer to why I can't get the WOW cake to come out right consistently. When it does, it is, bar none, the best cake I have ever tasted. But I never know when that will be. Of course, it's never when I really NEED it to be, like for my step-son's 21st birthday cake this weekend. I got a lot of help from Snarkybaker on the mixing method, etc., but wonder if her commercial convection oven makes a...
Good luck! I'll be waiting to hear how it turns out. Have you tried the scratch WASC? It got good reviews on this site. I tried it once, it came out okay but shrank quite a bit...though others didn't have that problem. I read on another thread while looking for answers that the answer is to use the "proper" technique. My question is, what is the "proper" technique? Is there a rule like ALL ingredients should be a room temperature and what, exactly, IS room...
I'm so glad you posted this. I came on Cake Central today looking for the answer to why I can't get the WOW cake to come out right consistently. When it does, it is, bar none, the best cake I have ever tasted. But I never know when that will be. Of course, it's never when I really NEED it to be, like for my step-son's 21st birthday cake this weekend. I got a lot of help from Snarkybaker on the mixing method, etc., but wonder if her commercial convection oven makes a...
Has anyone had any trouble with the Silpat giving the cookies a weird taste? They smelled funny while baking and ended up tasting like the smell; even the cookies I baked later and had only rolled between Silpats. I used two Silpats and two Kitchen Aid silicone mats I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They were washed thoroughly before use.
That's awesome. Congratulations to you both.
Please take a moment (okay a LOT of moments) to think about what is truly important to you. When my daughter was little, I was working full time and going to school full time to realize my dream. She was eight when I finally made it. After her brothers were born six and eight years later, I decided that my career wasn't all that important and I became a SAHM. I feel so bad that I missed out on so much of my daughter's life and that she didn't get the attention as a...
I've tried many modeling chocolate/candy clay/chocolate leather recipes. In fact, I used some just the other day to make a flower and set it out to see what happened after a few days. It was still as soft as the day I made it four days later. It was firm enough to keep it's shape but could still be bent. I find it easy to work with but if you need something to dry hard, I think gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mixture would be better. HTH
I've tried many modeling chocolate/candy clay/chocolate leather recipes. In fact, I used some just the other day to make a flower and set it out to see what happened after a few days. It was still as soft as the day I made it four days later. It was firm enough to keep it's shape but could still be bent. I find it easy to work with but if you need something to dry hard, I think gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mixture would be better. HTH
I just got back from my friend's birthday party. Although the cake tasted good, for the first time since I converted to scratch baking, my cake was like cornbread. Always wondered why people described cakes that way...now I know. I sifted and then measured the cake flour, but unfortunately thought I could make it better by changing the method, i.e. creaming butter and sugar first, alternating dry ingredients, instead of just following directions and dumping it in...
Iva: Thank you. How did you like it? I've only had it in cupcakes (which were great) but wonder how it will be as a cake.