Posts by vicki3336

This one...http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/Trust me. Make with all egg yolks. Use vanilla bean paste. I've done all the researching and experimenting and gaining waaay too much weight in the process. While there is one (Rebecca Rather's WOW cake) that rivals this one for flavor, I've had much better luck with this recipe turning out great time and time again. And that's with an oven that will often swing 75 degrees while...
I've used that filling recipe several times. I do refrigerate the cake overnight, but I've let it sit out for several hours (during an all afternoon party) and it was fine. I've also put on a thin layer of buttercream before adding the filling and that works great. One time I forgot and it soaked in a little bit but not enough to be a problem.Edited to add that I've made this the day before several times and it worked out great. Leftovers were good for at least two...
If it's a simple color, I don't mind coloring buttercream. But, when I need a specific, well-known color like UT Longhorn orange or A&M maroon, I really dread it.And no matter the color, I always hate coloring fondant. Maybe I need to check out an airbrush.
I thought your instructions were just fine. I'm not sure where you got the "trying" part.
I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. It is with Rebecca Rather's WOW cake that I've had inconsistent results.
I participated in the yellow scratch off and in doing so found that Rebecca Rather's White on White cake was my favorite. I've had trouble with its consistency; even with tips from snarkybaker, who uses a version of it very successfully in her bakery. (I really think it's my oven...but that's another story)Another CC member, FromScratchSF, has a blog with a vanilla cake recipe and tutorial. I've tried it and it's very good and very consistent. Here's the link to her...
I've used that recipe often with no problem with broken cookies. How thick are you rolling them? I roll mine either 3/8" or 1/4", depending on the cookie and whether or not I'm putting them on a stick. I like mine with chewy centers so I probably undercook them just a tad. Are you baking them just until the dough is set or longer for a crunchy cookie?
Thank you for taking the time to give instructions. Your cupcake tree looks great! Adding this to my ever-growing list of things I want to try.
I made three jars of vanilla extract when I first read this thread earlier this year. They've been brewing since March 6th, but they still smell more like alcohol (I used SKYY Vodka) than vanilla. I honestly can't remember which recipe I used other than using the Cook's Illustrated recipe for one jar (which uses fewer beans but heats the vodka/beans). I'm pretty sure I have 12 - 14 beans in a pint canning jar filled about 3/4 full of vodka. My question is how do you...
Three years ago, I joined a friend in a cake decorating class on a whim. I really enjoyed it and started playing with it more and more. A year later, I baked cakes for my son's athletic banquet for 400 people. I used a doctored mix and, of course, everyone said they were the best cakes they'd ever eaten. Right after that, I decided to learn to bake from scratch. Believe me, those first cakes were nowhere near as good as the doctored mix cakes. But over time, baking...