Posts by vicki3336

There's a thread about freezing a decorated cake.  Maybe you could try that, if you have the freezer space.  I'm not sure how to include the link, but here goes:  http://cakecentral.com/t/747425/how-to-freeze-already-decorated-cake-and-then-thaw
I must have been typing when you were listing the mixes.  Thank you.   edited to add:   From looking at the time you posted, I couldn't have been typing when you listed the mixes.  I must have been posting before I refreshed the page.  I'll get it right...eventually.
  I guess this is where we are not on the same page.  To me, a mix is a compilation of ingredients.  A process is how those ingredients are combined and prepared.  So if I, personally, were to have asked that same question, it would have absolutely been a question of ingredients, not process.   Until it was mentioned on this thread, it would not have occurred to me that it could be considered a question of the process.  So, consequently, neither of us has any idea how the...
  Jason, I tend to disagree.  Though I realize I can only speak for myself, the answer provided by the bakery in question would evoke two possible responses from me.  1) The evasiveness of the response would be perceived as an answer and I would not purchase from the bakery because they use mixes; or 2) If it were two years ago before I decided to minimize chemicals in my diet, I would be annoyed by the evasiveness of the answer on the grounds that I believe a consumer...
FromScratchSF's vanilla cake is my go to vanilla cake as well.  The last time I made it, I used the yolks and butter in one recipe and the leftover whites and shortening in another, but used the same flavorings (homemade vanilla and Neilsen-Massey vanilla bean paste).  The recipe using the yolks and butter is richer and preferred by my family.  The egg white recipe is good as well, light and fluffy and seemed a tad sweeter.  I participated in the white cake scratch-off...
No, I don't really think all that matters is if you like it.  I like, no love, Diet Coke.  Had quite a habit of drinking 3 - 4 per day.  As I became more aware of the harmful chemicals in it, I chose to give it up; haven't had any soda for almost two years.  I'm not totally obsessed with keeping all chemicals out of my food, but I do try to minimize them.  Since I'm no chemist or doctor or whatever and since I don't know how any of the chemicals in box mixes affect my...
LisaPeps:Are you measuring the egg yolks by weight or volume? For FromScratchSF's recipe, the egg yolks should be weighed.
Beryl's carries them.[http://www.beryls.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7670url]I've ordered from that site before and don't recall ever having a problem.HTHVicki
I think your problem is your recipe. Royal Icing typically has egg whites or meringue powder. Try Anotonia74's recipe on this site or just google a recipe. Your recipe is similar to a glace icing, but that also has corn syrup in it. HTH
The almond refers to the almond extract added for flavoring. Some people use all vanilla instead. Sometimes I use vanilla only, sometimes I add half the amount of almond plus the vanilla, and sometimes I use vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste. It's all good!