Posts by bellaloco

I am making a small (9 in, 3 layer) cake for a birthday with a chocolate filling. I wanted to do a thin layer of ganache and then chocolate mousse. My question is: Should I layer the mousse on top of the ganache, or the other way around? I am thinking putting the ganache on the bottom will make it a little more structrually sound, but I'll be putting a few dowels in it regardless.
Hi there!!I am looking for some input on the best way to make gold and sliver (or any metallic color) paint for fondant. I don't know if my current technique is the best because the color never seems concentrated enough! What I currently use is a bit of vodka mixed with gold or silver dust powder (and gel food coloring if needed). Is there a better technique?
I have a customer requesting a three-tier square wedding cake with spaces in between each layer to add flowers. I have been wanting to get this Wilton Towering Tiers cake stand:http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_toweringtiersHas anyone used this for square cakes? Do they make square plates for this, or should I just use a couple extra layers of cake board or foam core so the edges of the cake that would hang over the support don't sag?Or is there another...
Hi Everyone! I was just looking for some opinions on if I can get 35-40 servings out of a 9-inch and 6-inch cake. Both tiers will be 3 layers (about an inch each, with 2 layers of approx 1/2 inch of filling). With them being taller, I was thinking they could be cut a little smaller.What do y'all think?
the two cakes I have had the most success with are both from Elisa Strauss' Confetti Cakes book. There is a chocolate one and a vanilla one that I have both had repeated success with, and really the only two cakes I use for carved projects.I have found that anything with chunks (fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, etc) is pretty much impossible to carve.
This is the one I always use...frosting and all, I also add 2 TBS of cocoa powder...http://www.underthehighchair.com/2008/09/shf-baby-girl-cupcakes-and-giveaway.htmlIt may not be "authentic" but I love it, and so does everyone I've made it for.
I got one last year for my bday. The first time I used it, I thought I had made a huge mistake by purchasing it, but I have changed my mind. I really need to get it out and play around with it some more.These are some of the things I have found work for me...I use wilton brand fondant, mixed with a tiny bit of gumpaste, which helps me be able to roll it out much thinner than plain fondant. It needs to be thin...like almost flower petal thin. After I roll it on to the...
I got one last year for my bday. The first time I used it, I thought I had made a huge mistake by purchasing it, but I have changed my mind. I really need to get it out and play around with it some more.These are some of the things I have found work for me...I use wilton brand fondant, mixed with a tiny bit of gumpaste, which helps me be able to roll it out much thinner than plain fondant. It needs to be thin...like almost flower petal thin. After I roll it on to the...
I have the most success with black food coloring when I use chocolate fondant and add the black to that.
I learned the hard way that you have to wait for your chocolate to cool a bit before you can add the corn syrup or everything will separate.