Posts by SJEmom

I was at AC Moore today and saw Bake Even Strips, but they said they were only for 8" or 9" pans. I am baking in an 11x17. I also didn't understand about how to use the flower nails so I didn't get them.I did buy cake mix - Duncan Hines, and I bought pudding mix. On the side of the box it gave a recipe for "pound cake" which basically adds the pudding mix an extra egg and a different ammount of water. I guess that will give me the more density I will need (while still...
Teri - If I am carving the cake, would I want that extra moistness? Is Duncan Hines a good mix for getting a cake that won't crumble when shaped (if I partially freeze it first)? And some mixes say that there is already pudding in the mix - do you still add it? Also, when I go to the store, I honestly have a hard time differentiating the different types of chocolate cake - which one will be more dense for shaping purposes?
So, off of a parenting forum I got this advise for making a half/half cake:Sound right?tracy1970 - that is sort of what I am thinking about. I am hoping my first attempt comes out as good as yours. I take it from your description that using canned frosting wasn't good on the cake. Maybe I will need to take the plunge and try to make my own.Climate wise I am in the northeast - not so humid this time of year. I guess it would be fine to leave out.Thanks for all the...
I love the Winnie the Pooh #1 cake - that is actually the theme I am using for the decorations. However I am not sure that I want such a specific cake pan - not many other uses post party. Would be great if you could rent these character pans.I actually bought an 11x17 pan today. I was debating between the 11x17 and the 9x13 and bought the bigger size so that I could simplify and just do a single layer cake. I figure I will cut out a piece of parchment paper to...
Wow, a lot of information! Thank you.First of all, I am actually a bit ahead of the time line - the party is on a Sunday, but not this Sunday, I still have a week and a half. But, in the middle is a pretty big holiday (Rosh Hashanah) where I will be cooking and such, so I am trying to be prepared. It sounds like if I am so motivated I could bake the cake this Sunday, freeze it, then take it out to thaw in order for me to cut/carve it a few days beforehand. How long...
I want to bake a cake for my son's upcoming 1st birthday. I was thinking about doing a cake in the shape of a 1. I have 12-16 adults and kids eating cake. Then I wanted to make a small smash cake for my son and mini-cupcakes for the other 1-2 year olds.What size pan would you recommend for the 1?Would you make it single layer or double?If it is single I would want to make it chocolate and yellow - tips on doing that?For the smash cake - originally thought of doing a...