Posts by SJEmom

So, after discussions (and more discussions) with my kids, it seems that if I open up the idea of two cakes to them that it REALLY complicates things. Also, I don't think I am ready to do a multi-layered cake and couldn't figure out how that would add extra pieces - just make some taller than others. I think that I will make an 11x15 cake as the main cake that has happy birthday to both of them. Then to get my extra cake I will make two 9"rounds and decorate them as...
Oh, yeah, I was thinking two cakes!Originally it was going to be one HSM cake, but I thought that they might want separate cakes and DS mentioned a magic theme to go with the magic show that we will have at the party.So for the magic you think maybe draw a hat and have colorful stars coming out? I could probably do that.Other thoughts, ideas?
My kids are having a magic party. DS was thinking that he might like his cake to have a magic theme (DD wants a High School Musical theme). Any ideas? It has to be easy! Also, I would like to stick to bc frosting...not ready for fondant (although I can imagine a beautiful cake with fondant with this theme).
My DS's school requires that any baked items for birthday celebrations be nut free and accommodate any other allergies in the classroom. DS has a child with a dairy allergy. Also, things need to be baked at school. The school recommends the allergy friendly cake mixes.My DS wants to make rainbow cake - a basic white cake that kids then mix small amounts of batter with food coloring and it all gets poured into a pan to be a rainbow colored cake. The cake needs to be...
I was just sketching an idea and I wonder if I would have enough cake with a single layer 11x15 as a base and then cut a 9" round into a star on top. It sounds like 11x15 would be enough cake for small pieces for the kids, perhaps adding a 9" star would give me that little bit extra?I am hesitant to buy a 12x18 pan because I had a hard time working with the 11x15 size and a bigger cake will only be more challenging to work with and transport...
I just recently joined cc and baked my first shaped cake (a number 1) for my DS's first birthday. I loved all the help and support I got on here. I also really enjoyed putting love and creativity into the cake and proudly served it at the party to lots of "wows!"Anyway, my DD (turning 8 yrs) and DS's (turning 5) birthday is coming up and they are having a joint party with up to 36 kids, plus some adults that will be lingering around. To make things "easy" I was going to...
Thanks for all your help! I did it! The cake turned out great and tasted as yummy as it looked!I didn't have any issues with the cake baking unlevel. It did take quite some time to fully bake the cakes. I think adding pudding to the mix increases the baking time. I also reduced the temperature on the big cake and nothing got overdone. The cake froze and defrosted well. Cutting after being in the freezer was super easy and not too many crumbs. Frosting went okay and...
Oops. I covered my board with the Wilton cake board foil and transfered my cake on to it, wraped in Saran Wrap and froze. I baked it on Sunday. I was planning to take it out either tonight or tomorrow night to shape it, then put it in the refridgerator before frosting it. I am hoping that I don't mess up the foil covering while shaping the cake. 11x15 is not an easy cake size to move.In the future, how should I freeze cakes? On cooling rack?
Cakes are baking! I have a nice big cooling rack for the 11x15 and a smaller one for the 6" round. I will let it cool almost all the way before freezing it. Do I want to put it on my cake board before freezing and do the carving/decorating all on the board? Would I cover one board for the "work" part and then transfer to the "real" one for the decorating and presenting?
I am not sure I get the heating core or stips. I think I will try baking at a lower temp. If I start to notice the edges getting too done, would it help to put aluminum foil over the edges?