Posts by SJEmom

I am having my son's 2nd birthday party in a little over a week. It will be a small group of people - at most 20 people including the little ones. It will be a monkey theme. I haven't yet decided on a cake shape, but I know it will have blue and yellow dots on white frosting and a monkey face to match the party theme.I usually make DH boxed cake mix and add in the extra egg and oil to make pound cake. I figure since it is a small group I would have to pick between...
My DD's class has been learning about the Charles River in Massachusetts all year. For their end of year of year party I have offered to make a cake with the Charles River on it. I am very much a novice! I have looked at pictures in the galleries and taken some ideas. I have to keep the cake nut free for allergies in the class.It will be a chocolate cake. Thinking that I will make the river with white frosting and then cover with blue piping gel. I have graham...
I totally agree. I would not get a cake with the possibility of traces of nuts because I know that is serious stuff. However I am frustrated because there aren't any children with nut allergies in the class. It is a school wide rule. Also, I totally get the Kosher thing. We keep kosher. I have a kosher kitchen. Of the class of 20 there are 4 families that I can think of who actually keep kosher - all of them either have eaten at my home, or would eat at my home.This...
I want to bring a cake for my DS's preschool class ("the Lions") however the preschool has some REALLY crazy rules that they can't seem to get around - has to come from a Kosher bakery, has to be completely nut free (no possible traces/shared equipment), can't be baked at home. They said I can bake it in school and currently are allowing me to decorate it at home. (which makes no sense, but they may take that back) My plan was to make a simple sheet cake with a picture...
Another update...I cut off the edges of the cake just out of the freezer. First, I cut too much and realizing that it was moist on part of the area I had cut to remove, I made a new ring closer to the edge (so my cake has a ring around the outside). I removed the hard edge, the cake isn't perfectly round anymore (mostly though), but I rewraped and put back in the freezer. The scraps are out on the counter and as they come to room temperature they are a little tough on...
So I just pulled my cake from the freezer and the center has spring to it, but the edges are rock hard. My DH suggested just cutting off the hard parts. I am debating about picking up another box of cake mix or just proceeding like that. Thoughts...
I am making a 2 layer 9" round cake for my DH's birthday tomorrow. I baked a DH Devil's Food cake (and added extra egg and pudding mix) following the recipe for pound cake on the side of the box. I got a bit confused with bake time since the pound cake is suggested to be baked in a bundt pan and set my timer for 40-50 minutes (oops ).As I started to smell the cake (a trick that I learned from the wonderful folks here), I check on it and the cake was still crackling so...
Wow, that is a lot. Is that factoring in frosting the whole cake or just doing the basket around the edge and any small decorations I do on the top? I am planning on "frosting and filling" the cake with chocolate frosting, so the bc would just be for decoration.
Okay the video really drives it home! Thanks for that link! I would totally love to try it. I am making my DH a chocolate round cake with chocolate frosting and I thought that it might look cool to do the basket weave with a blue buttercream. I like the way brown and blue look together. Certainly a lot of WOW factor! How much frosting would you say it would take to do a 2 layer 9" round cake? It looks like it might be a lot.
i am pretty novice at this, but I have been using the DH cake mixes (Devil's Food and Classic Yellow) for my cakes, but I follow the recipe on the side of the box for making "pound" cake by adding in pudding and an extra egg. They come up sooooo yummy and moist, but also solid so that I can shape them and often can frost without any crumbs after a short time in the freezer. My DH who would often prefer bakery cakes just bought me a cake decorating book and requests that...