Posts by SJEmom

Giving this a bump...hoping someone can advise about what size cake to bake and size of strips to cut to put it together. thanks.
I am a very amateur baker, but I offered to make a cake for the winner of a silent auction in my community. My friend won the cake for $60! I really want to do a great job for her and her son (the cake will be for his birthday). He would like a light saber cake. It needs to feed around 20 kids. I would much rather give them more than less so they can have leftovers.What size cake should I bake? What is a good width to cut the strips? If I am putting together cake is...
Thanks everyone for your replies. It turns out that I will have to let her down. I have a disk issue in my neck and although I love to bake, my husband says it is one more thing that I don't have to do and therefore I shouldn't do it. (even though I know that making 12 cupcakes and piping on already made BC wouldn't make it worse - it won't help it get better) So, I am a bit sidelined. I may just buy some at a bakery or just promise them to her for her next...
I have seen those cupcake boxes before, but of course not when I want them. I found a box of "Jiffy" yellow cake mix. I have never made that before...hope it tastes decent. Also hoping that I can get a pinkish color with the yellow cake. Aside from the Yellow cake mix they mostly had muffin mixes.
On my 3 year old niece's birthday I promised that when she came to visit me that I would make her pink cupcakes. As last minute plans, my parents are bringing her with them to visit next week...just before the holiday of Passover (which we fully celebrate). I usually bake with DH cake mixes, but I don't want to make that many cupcakes - I have to get rid of all baked type stuff and baking stuff before the holiday. I need a recipe that I can halve (and add coloring to)...
Once a month the parent's committee holds a lunch for the teachers and staff of the school and asks parents in a particular grade to bring in home baked desserts or fruit. Last month it was my son's grade's turn and I made a Purim themed cake because it was right before that holiday. This month it is my daughter's grade's turn and I am not sure what to do. It will be a 11x17 sheet (just to keep it as simple as possible). The lunch is March 17, so I can do a spring...
Since it is a first birthday I assume that there will be kids there...Perhaps find out how many children will be there among the 150 (are they nuts for having a 1st birthday that big!?), and make cupcakes for the children to coordinate with the cake. That should cut down on the size cake you need to make for adults and also make it easier to quickly serve the children cake.I did a monkey cake for my son's 2nd birthday and for the kids I made banana cupcakes frosted with...
I have been using a hand mixer for making buttercream frosting and I got a stand mixer to use. Which attachment would I use? Flat beater or whip?Thanks.
Thanks for the information. I am so not ready to make my own fondant. I will just hope that the few accents that I add with the Wilton pre made stuff won't taste too bad (or will be easy enough to remove). I am not covering the cake with it. If I were to be covering the cake and decorating with it, then I might try. I am still sort of a newbie in the whole cake realm thing.
I figured that it would be just apply while still soft or use more bc to stick it on.No, you didn't scare me. I haven't done fondant yet because it has sort of scared me and honestly whenever I have had a cake with fondant on it, I really don't like the way it tastes. Perhaps the bakeries where those cakes came from just weren't using the "good stuff". I am figuring I won't like the way it tastes and I am not planning on using a lot of it. Good to know that there is...