Posts by SJEmom

Okay, the other thing is I need them by this Friday so unless I could find them at a local store, I am not using a dummy. What do you mean by an altered box mix?
Where does one get Styrofoam cake tiers? Are they pricey? I am looking to not spend a lot of money and although cake mix, eggs and oil add up, they may cost less than a dummy. They want a 12" round.Any suggestions on pure shortening frosting recipes?
I was asked by my children's school to make a cake to be on display as part of an installation about how kids donate their gifts for their birthdays. The cake will be out and on display for a whole day during a dedication event as well as the day before for set up. They do not plan to serve the cake.I generally use DH cake mixes with pudding and an extra egg and I like working with the nice dense cake. If no one is going to eat the cake, I don't feel like I should spend...
Thanks! I knew there was something out there that was what I was thinking about. I have never had/made haystacks before. Thinking I will go with the regular chocolate chips. I try to bake completely nut/peanut free since so many kids have allergies these days. I can use chocolate chips and it will be perfect. I only want to make a small one as an accent on my cake so the idea of making more small nests so that each child can get a "Big Bird's Nest" sounds really...
I am making a Sesame Street cake for my DS's 3rd birthday. I want to make a small bird's nest for Big Bird. I was thinking that Chow Mein noodles would be perfect. Wondering what would be best for sticking it together...marshmallow fluff (sort of rkt like) or chocolate? What would be easier to work with and stay better?
Thank you for posting the tutorials information! I had already seen those which had led me to my questions above. The notion of handling a 2 layer frosted cake and putting on top of another 2 layer frosted cake seems a little daunting and I am not sure the logistics of it (see the questions above). The cakes in the youtube tutorials are all white wedding cakes, I didn't know how I would do it differently if my bottom tier is blue, my middle tier is beige, and my top...
I am thinking about trying to make a stacked cake for an end of summer party at my house. Was thinking of making 2 or 3 layers. Bottom layer would be ocean theme, middle layer would be sand theme, top layer (or just top of the sand layer) would be grass/flowers/trees. I will likely need the cake to feed around 75 people (give or take 25ish).I have two 9" round pans, a 6" round pan, and just bought a 12" round pan. I figure I will need to bake the 12" and 6" in two...
DininiDee - what kind of chocolate do you use? I need to be ingredient cautious because the birthday boy has a nut/peanut allergy. And also, what is a butter cream icer tip? I don't have a 12x18 pan, but I do have an 11x15, and I assume that I could use that, too, but have more pieces to put together.
I did a big shaped 1 cake for my DS's 1st birthday. Granted I am a novice. Guests were pretty impressed with the cake. I matched the colors to the party decor. I also made a small single layer round cake (4") as the smash cake with a 1 on it.Otherwise, maybe make something that she is into.
I am a very amateur baker, but I offered to make a cake for the winner of a silent auction in my community. The winner's son would like a light saber cake. It needs to feed around 20 kids. What size cake should I bake? What is a good width to cut the strips? If I am putting together cake is there anything I need to do to get it to stay together and not crack the BC on top of it? I was looking in the gallery and there are some good looking light sabers. I don't have...