Posts by kimelderbarton

I found online that 10x powdered sugar is more fine that 6x powdered sugar. If a recipe calls for sifted powdered sugar, do you have to sift if your using 10x. The recipe doesn't specify what grade use prior to it being sifted? Any help is appreciated....Thanks in advance.
I have a hard time determining stiff icing. I think I have it right and then start to make roses and it is too stiff. Any good ways of determining the correct consistency would be greatly appreciated. I was told that the recipe in our class booklet needs to be adjusted because of the change in Crisco (trans fat). I add more water and it's still to thick! HELP! I fill and empty bags repeatedly. Can't wait to read the article!
I've done both of the following and it's worked great: I made a Strawberry Shortcake themed cake with these methods.Use strawberry flavored icing as a base and add to it. It tastes great and gets a rich red color when you add the red coloring to it. I've done this if I don't need lots of red icing.I've also made my icing pink and then add the red coloring to it. I use this method if I need a large amount. Good luck!