Posts by chanielisalevy

Can I make slanted wedges for a tilted tiered cake out of carved rice crispy treats instead? Can it support the weight if it's dowelled and with own cake circles like a styro dummy? I have to make a 3 tiered cake for a charity event. The design is a'la' collette peters design. If I dowel each tier and then a single dowel through whole cake and wedges. Will this work or do I need styrofoam or dummy cakes carved?
ooooohhhhh! My creative juices are starting up again!! cangela4re and sillywabbitz, you too are the greatest! Thanks for such fabulous ideas!
Does it mean the child doesn't yet know?! Not sure which direction this is gonna go, but how about a love theme, like a red heart cake, white arms extending outward with the words "We love you this much" I saw that cake somewhere I thought it was adorable. I also once saw the wording like - Some grow in their mother's stomach, but you grew in our hearts, or something like that. Would love to hear where you take this!
Every year I donate a cake to feed 350 people for my daughter's school parent's function. This year they are still hammering out the theme but it will be something along the line of changes through the years. It's a multigenerational mother's event. I was thinking of something like each tier representing the 3 generations, from rotary phones, cordless, up to cell phones, etc. Each tier representing that generation in technology, advances, anything, Help! The cake is...
A funny thread, if there isn't one already, is to hear what cakers' kids have done to their cakes. I, for one, once caught my twins, then 3 years old, peeking into the cold oven where I had hid a cake-in-progress. I thought it was a great hiding place, they thought it was a great way to see the cake and divide up who would get which part. Another time I left a cake way back on the counter, (yeah, I know, terrible hiding place from a 3 year old) and I actually saw my son...
MELATONIN Baby! My kids actually go to sleep between 6 and 6:30 simply because they wake up at 5:30! I've learned to go with the flow, and now I get up at 5 so that I can have some coffee in peace and start my day before court is called to order. And this is from the gal who couldn't ever get up for an 8:30 biology class in college lol! So now I can work on cakes at night when the small ones are sleeping. Like a previous poster I have also learned to bake, fill and...
My children are ages 20 months, 4 years, 6 years, 7 years, 9 years, 12 year old twins and a 15 year old. The 15 year old can be the worst since she loves to decorate and I hate it when she's into my stuff! lol - but I learned that the only time I can work on cakes is naptime for the little one or late at night when all (even the teenager!) are asleep. I have to go with the flow since my children come first and it's a recipe for cake disaster to try to decorate with them...
thanks for those ideas.Since the cookies will be made by a bakery (they just called me today for a Friday morning class!) They are sending me 2 1/2" rounds. I love the melting snowmen except that where we live the snow hasn't even started yet! smile - any other round cookie ideas?
I was asked to donate my time for a retreat for kids who have lost a parent. One of the activities they want is a hands on class (!) for all 115 participants. They are ordering all the supplies and compiling the kits. I need to come up with a pretty but easy idea to have the kids (high school age). I will be showing 2 fondant cookies. The first is white quilted fondant with hand rolled pearls at the intersections,ANy ideas for a second cookie with max of 2 colors (3rd...
DeniseNH I would love to try your recipe!! What are the measurements and can I color it and use it like a commercial fondant? I think yours will taste much better!