Posts by jchuck

Oops.....yes it's canned. Unless you do what to whack the crap out of the beet root....good exercise before chewing down on the cake.... )
I should have said CANED beets. Yo could use fresh, but the can already have he juice.
I've never use red food colouring for my red velvet cake. Always beet juice, and pulverized beets in the batter for moistness. All natural....and it works. Don't taste the beets at all.
It's a federal tax, so it's called good & services all over Canada..but everyone has a nickname.....some retailers I know, there nicknames aren't quite as "nice" for the tax....
GST means: Goods and Services Tax.
Oh yes Cakecrazy25, you should go check out the shop...try some of there cupcakes too. I know 2 decorators that drove from Canada to Carlo's Bakery. They bought several cakes, cupcakes etc., and were disappointed in them. They loved the cannoli the best.
I can guarantee Cakecrazy 25 that what you are watching is "made for tv" . By that I mean put on for the camera and viewers. I'm sure if you walked in on any given day, they wouldn't be that disorganized. It would be a well run regular bakery. And they have a separate shop around the corner where they do the serious business of test baking, recipe experimentation etc. These ladies are no fluff balls, no matter how they portray themselves. My son-in-law is a documentary...
Well my family loved it....and as they say......it worked for me....
Ok…..to relate to this title I have to offer a explanation. My family dislikes both chocolate & white ganache. They find it too sweet. I’ve tried a couple of recipes to no avail. So…I experimented to figure out how I could make a type of ganache my family would like. Plus I also wanted to get that nice crisp look that fondant covered cakes have where ganache was used as opposed to b/c icing. I came up with the idea of thick buttercream and melted fondant combined…fondant...
I'm also Canadian. I use to get white margarine at both my Costco and Loblaws & Superstore. They haven't carried it for years. I make 2 types of icing. Flour icing which is not sweet and is the poor mans SMBC. Wonderful mouth feel...tastes great. And it's WHITE. Guess it's the addition of the flour.Here's a link to the recipe I use. leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/ The second is my go to regular bc. 3/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup...