Posts by Kristy

I'm looking for a yummy raspberry buttercream recipe. I used one off of a site before (cakelady.com maybe?) and it was ok, but waaaay too buttery for me, it tasted like raspberry flavored butter. Anyone have any they like?
I just found out this week that I got accepted to the Culinary Institute of America's Baking and Pastry program!! I don't go until late summer next year, but I have a bit to do (and lots of money to save!) before I go. I'm really excited!
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Right now I have it narrowed down to CIA or NECI. Both are quite a chunk of change (about $25,000 per year), but I feel that it's worth it to follow my passion and do what I love as a career, and if I don't do it now, then I'm afraid that it will never happen. I'm planning on applying for every financial aid thing I can, every little bit will help!!
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this school. www.ciachef.edu It's located in Hyde Park, NY, a few hours north of NYC. I'm looking into going to school for pastry and baking, and this school looks amazing! If anyone has any tips or opinions on schools, i'm all ears! I'm going to be staying in the northeast, preferably in NY or maybe PA.Thanks!!!
I made some very simple cake balls a while back, just taking cake scraps and some leftover frosting and mashing them together and then just rolling them into balls. I let them set up a bit in the freezer, then dipped them in chocolate and then back into the freezer. I got a lot of compliments on them, but the main thing everyone said is that they would have liked them to be smaller, because they were just so rich. If I were to make them again, I'd make them so that...
I made them this past weekend and they are yummy!! And also, I used the hint about rolling the dough between wax paper...fabulous!! The quickest cleanup I've ever had when making cookies!
after you ice the cake, where do you put it? Do you still cover it?
I found this icing to be very easy to work with, just make sure you keep it covered with a damp towel. I made brown, orange, and kept some white for the ghosts I made. The brown ended up looking almost like Peanut Butter, but i was afraid to add too much coloring because i didn't want to alter the taste. I outlined my cookies and then thinned down the icing and flooded them, which worked pretty good, but some cookies the outline icing was slightly darker than the...
I made these the other day with antonia74's royal icing. I only made a half batch of both, because I didn't want to be stuck with all these leftover cookies! To make a long story short, I had the opposite problem! I bought some halloween cookie cutters at Michael's the other day, they were really tiny ones, and I iced them and took them to work. They were gone by the end of the day! All of the drug representatives were chowing down on them and I got lots of...
thanks so much, i really appreciate it!!!