Posts by hobbymommy

THANKS!!  I didn't even think of just putting them together when needed...I'll just make/paint all the pieces up ahead of time & assemble them the weekend before & stick them into some foam until they're ready to go on the cake...voila!  Thank you both for the help!  =)   God Bless, Crystal
Hello Cake World!!   My stepsister has decided on gum paste stargazer lillies for her wedding cake on April 6th.  I would like to make them the week before Easter, a little less than two weeks before her wedding.  I am stumped for ideas on how to store them.  I've been online searching, with no luck.  Any ideas?     God Bless, Crystal
I do not have a business but I do have a question about my mixer maintenance. I have the KitchenAid Professional HD stand mixer. I have had it since the fall of 2009 & bake only 15 to 25 cakes a year. Have read (somewhere) that it is good to have them serviced every couple of years? Is this necessary? It is not broken. Thanks,Crystal
THANK YOU, for ALL of the comments. Here goes.....Prayers, too, please.....BUSY week ahead....cake, seahorse & sea shell sugar cookies, octopus marshmallow pops, peanut butter fudge starfish, fondant sea shells....Thanks,Crystal
My daughter is undecided whether she wants a cake with sea shells or just a sand castle cake for her party coming up soon. Have been looking at the sand castle cakes wondering just how in the world it is possible to achieve the sandy look on the entire cake?? I do realize it is either brown sugar, crushed graham crackers, or even crushed sugar cookies. I can see how I would easily spread it onto the top parts of the cake, but the sides? How?Tips, suggestions, etc. are...
HELP! I received my 16" in. silver wedding cake plateau in the mail today from an ebay'er that makes them. This is my first one to buy so I'm a little confused. The middle is 'sunken' a bit? I'm attempting a 4 tiered square cake with 5" in. pillars in between the tiers in October. Will this sunkenness affect the levelness of the cake? Should I put the bottom tier 2 cake boards to prevent any chance of it being uneven, or will that even help? I don't know what to...
The tiers are 8", 10", 12", & 14" squares, with air (flowers) between them. I will be using the 5" Grecian Pillars between each tier. My question is what size separator plate would be best to use under the 8"-10"-12" tiers? The bottom border for each tier is not a big border. I was thinking this: For example, with my top 8" tier: Use a 9"in. square cake board underneath the cake, place that on an 8" square plate? Same size plate for the cake, but the cake board...
I really like the sound of the heavy gauge wire. BUT, if I do choose to use this, will the weight of the gum paste 'roof' cause the wire to bend, you think? I have some skewers I can use in case this happens, but would rather use the wire.THANKS!Crystal
Fishing-1 (for questions - NOT my work)http://www.flickr.com/photos/50319699@N02/6169454537/I'm not sure how to post links or pictures, I've tried several, SEVERAL times & I can't seem to figure it out. So I posted the picture on...
I can't figure out how to post pictures in here, or I would give an example. But I need to make a Madden Girl pump high heel shoe (sold at Macy's). The shoe is entirely closed, no straps or open toe. I've YET to find a template or even a tutorial to help me out with this. Anyone here know ANYTHING that can help me?Thanks,Crystal