Posts by DebbyJG

I had a room at an Embassy Suites, which had a nice sized kitchenette. Thankfully.
Thanks! And since someone asked to see a photo of how I packed it all in -Here are a few photos.
Just wanted to follow up/update! I'm back from our trip to Minneapolis. I drove a total of 2,006 miles there and back, and the cake made it just fine! I took the advice given here and made the cakes ahead of time, torted and filled them, then wrapped and froze each tier. I wrapped them in plastic wrap, then foil, then put them into extra large ziplock bags (the kinds used for clothing storage.) I purchased large storage bins to fit the frozen cakes, and a 5 gal food...
Lol! Yep that's been my last three days too. We leave tomorrow morning early early!
Lol! I'll take a photo of the packed inside of the van once I get everything in. Right now I'm making piles by the door, trying to keep boxes of things organized as much as possible. The cakes will go in last, so they stay in the freezer as long as possible.
I've only ever seen one kind at the store "cultured buttermilk" so that's all I know about. I wonder if labeling some "fat free" is just a marketing gimmick though! Lol!
Actually.... Buttermilk has very little fat in it. It's the milk left over after the fat - the butter - has been removed. If you make your own butter from whole, un homogenized milk, you can see this process in action. You skim the cream from the milk, then make the butter curds. You take out the butter curds and what you have left is a very thin milk. But even though it's similar in fat content to skim milk, it reacts chemically different than skim milk, leading to all...
Meh. I've been there, it's not nearly as good as our local one (who whoulda thought the number 1 science center in the US would be in Columbus OH..) If we do stop... On the way BACK... It would likely be either the field museum, art museum, or Planetarium.
Oh, and yes, you were correct. Three kids. Cake. Alone. Absolutely it's insanity. I'm stressed just thinking about it. Thankfully my kids like their kindles and are old enough to not require potty breaks every 30 min. My husband (this is for his brother) has to work on Friday, so he's flying out to meet me there on Friday night. I'm hauling everything else myself, and then he will be driving back with me. Sans cake at that point. Hey, maybe we should stop at the Field...
Erm... I guess it wasn't apparent by my sideways smiley, but that was a joke. I am NOT going to stop at the Chicago field museum on the way up there, with a cake and bucket of no-shortening buttercreme in my car. As a homeschool mom always looking for ways to do things, I *thought* about how I might accomplish that, yes. For all of about 1 minute. And then laughed and said Not A Chance. Sheesh. So here's the update, sorry I've been away from the thread, but I had a...