Posts by SugaredUp

I checked out those rolling pins. Insane!!!
Yes, thanks for responding. I used that same cake as a reference and made strips as suggested. I will post a pic when it's done. Thanks again!
FYI - I would roll out one long strip and then I'd only have one seam, but I don't have dowels that long considering my bottom tier is 14 inches.
I'm trying to pleat the top and bottom tiers of my cake, and it's giving me issues. I was using dowel rods (Wilton method), and I like how it looks, but I don't like the seam. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing the German recipe. I was also dying to make the crumb cake after watching Cake Boss. I tried a recipe from the internet and I hated it! I can't wait to try this one!
Wow - I never got my forum reply notifications... just happened to check back.Thanks for the encouragement! I am looking for evening shift work. Enchanted - my bakery in Michigan named similarly to yours. I think you and I have possibly even emailed in the past. Not sure, but your screen name definitely looks familiar.For now, I did find a job waitressing starting at 4:30 p.m. 3 nights per week. Unfortunately, there isn't much business where I'm at, and I'm working...
And.... I don't have my cake decorating supplies!!! We moved w/ only a few things, and the rest is in storage. I am starting to freak out, and it's only been 2 weeks. I actually dreamed I was making cakes last night and when I woke up and realized it was just a dream got so depressed! I've been looking for a job of any kind and haven't found one yet either. I think the boredom/loneliness is making me miss caking even more.I just needed to vent! Does anyone know of any...
Glad I could help!
Oh - one more thing. In Sugarshack's stacking video, I picked up this tip, which you will probably need to utilize for this tall tier...Create a small amount of stiffened buttercream by adding a lot of powdered sugar to your buttercream until it's pretty stiff. Then apply that to the crack evenly around where the tiers join. Do this first. Then go back over and use the small round tip with the regular buttercream, smoothing with a pallette knife. I think you should...
I have made tall tiers, but I have used fondant. However, you can do this! For the tall tier, I think you should be able to ice each cake on its own board, smooth out the cakes, then stack them as you normally would, only they are stacked same size on top of same size, then fill in the crack with a small round tip. Use a pallette knife to smooth out the buttercream over the crack. A pallette knife will give you more control and you'll be able to squeeze in there and...