Posts by howsweet

It took me a minute to figure out what you're talking abut because i have never won an award! You mean that rainbow cake I entered in the flower contest? Thanks so much for saying that! All I see when I look at that photo is the flaws. That was actually made in 2010 and I checked my records and it was $836 not including the topper, which averaged out to $8.44 a serving. The flowers were a little cheaper because they didn't care about them looking real.I'll never forget...
It's a no brainer that the person who said $495 was way off -- that's less than $2 per serving. Are you making the piano and couple by hand in sugar? I'd be charging at least $300 for just that part. It would depend on the detail. I'd charge $20 for the full sheet of music, probably $20 for the piano trim, $3-4 each for the music notes if they have to be hand cut. $1 each if I used a cutter. Oh, if I have to find extra long wire and bend it just right, that would be...
That's really good advice, "pretend you are your own employee"!
And look at it this way - if all you did was price the cake based on cost and time, but cakes go for $50 more than that, then you threw away $50.
If all you do is "cost out your ingredients and your time and oven time" all you'll come up with the lowest possible price that anyone could charge for this cake order. You have to find out what the market value of your cake would be by checking into pricing of bakeries. It can be a bad idea to use home baker's prices because so often they don't know how to price. It's safer to find brick and mortar bakeries and see what they're charging.   You can't just go to their...
  Aww, shoot, it wouldn't let me embed the video. It's from that movie, Envy when the flan arrived.   To the OP, personally, I'd just tell them I've never made flan and refer them to someone who knows how to make the most fabulous flan. Because they are expecting it to be the best ever and you've never even made any?
Yes this is certainly true, but it is definitely how price is determined. Costs are what tell you whether or not it's worth your time to bother turning on the oven. As illustrated in that quote from the sba, cost helps to tell you where the price floor is and that's all most posters here seem to care about. The advice for pricing your cakes is consistently to price at the price floor. Which literally means to charge as little as possible. (By definition that's what it...
Put something in between them and the fan, like a 3 in high pan. I bake mine at 325 f, fwiw.
Don't forget the dam