Posts by MariahS

I've never frozen cupcakes for only a few hours...but I definitely think 3 or 4 hours is enough time to get them to a frozen state.
I have purposefully put some in the refrigerator for both one and two days to test the quality, and for one day I find the quality is not noticeably different for most of my cupcakes(I make everything from scratch, if that matters). Things like my lemon meringue...the frosting doesn't hold up well in the fridge.   For most things though - the 2 days still tasted "fine" but not as fresh as I would like, and I don't think I would sell them at that point. But the next...
Did you not use any powdered/confectioner's sugar? If you didn't, then that is why your icing was too thin and probably didn't taste right. If you did use some, you may not have used enough. I am with the previous poster though - the decorator's cream cheese recipe on this site is good for cupcakes.   As far as your cake, can you share the recipe you used? Maybe someone here can figure out what went wrong and help fix it??
It is my understanding in the state of Indiana that you cannot operate a bakery business out of your home unless you have a separate kitchen from your normal home kitchen, which has a completely separate entrance and even then it still has to meet inspection regulations. The only other way to legally operate out of your "normal" home kitchen is under the home-based vendor rule, which only allows pickup from Farmer's Markets or Roadside Stands, period. NOW...what...
Ok I feel dumb - what are icing bullets?? I love your tip about pre-filling disposable icing bags and putting those into your pastry bag! Never thought of that before so thanks (even though I wasn't the inteded recipient of your advice, I appreciate it all the same!)!!
I agree - bake and freeze, cupcakes and cakes in general hold up extremely well to freezing as long as you package them properly. I have also read that you can freeze buttercream with excellent results. I am not 100% sure as I haven't tried it - I had some leftover from my last batch and put it in the freezer. It's been in there about a week now so I am going to thaw it tomorrow night and test it out. I imagine you should let it come to room temp and then maybe whip it up...
Not so - I think it looks great - it looks just like a grass skirt!
I am not sure specifically what cakes you've seen that you want to replicate but if I were doing a grass skirt on a cake I would probably try using the grass tip. If that makes smaller "grass" than what you are looking for, you could do a larger round tip but it might be tedious. Good luck!
I like this suggestion from the previous poster of offering to go ahead and make the cake (maybe altering the design some), after all they did pay for a cake for that day - and the idea of a freebie celebration cake within 6 months or so if they do not still want the large cake. I also really liked the idea someone had about offering to apply the deposit portion of their payment to the deposit on a future wedding cake order (though the wording would have to be very...
Yum...Key Lime anything is one of my favorite flavors. It probably would make a good pairing with the coconut, but I really am not a big fan of strong coconut flavor...I like it more as an undertone you know? I will definitely have to try the Key Lime Buttercream at some point, although not sure it would go well with the pineapple mango flavor I'm going for??