Posts by dreamcakesmom

So I am working on my business plan pretty aggressively and Lookings into available space which I am seeing possibilities between 1000 -1500 Sq ft. I have worked the # s and think the monthly gross sales are achieve able if I offer an extra service such as coffee/ tea service for walk in customers. The location I am really honing in on is in a well traveled location walking distance to the local train station. Does anybody who has a mixed business including cakes as well...
any other tips from anyone?
Hello all- I have done quilt patterns before on fondant and used the mat for crusting buttercream but wondering the best way to get a nice clean finish when doing a diamond pattern on non crusting buttercrem (I use smbc).Thanks!!
Without seeing the recipe or type of cake it is hard to give advice. If you are using multiple recipes with consistently the same feedback that cakes are dry then yes you are probably overcooking but there are some types of cakes that tend to be dry by nature and using a simple syrup to assist with moisture is helpful. Also, storage sometimes is an issue. Not keeping them covered or keeping them in the fridge for a long period of time can also lead to dryness.
I had a situation a while back where i got an email saying essentially, "The cake was a work of art however. . .I hate to complain but it was a little bit dry. At the time I didn't understand because based on my own taste the cake was moist, blah, blah blah but after getting some CC feedback I realized as you may that most customers are looking for more of a layer cake (buttercake) texture which is super moist. To me Angle food cake is on the dry side which is why I always...
I too have a hard time believing that she could not find anyone cloaer than London in 2 years considering all the tv shows on tv currently that spotlight talented cake artists throughout the US that would be more than competent to do this project. With that being said would ask for payment up front due to it being a specialty cake. If they are serious you will get the funds, if not the problem will go away real fast
So many lessons to be learned 1st always get at least 50% deposit before you put anything in the oven. 2nd- when she said she was going to have to go get a cake a walmart my response would be, sorry your feel that way, I'll take my cake and let you get on with your day. There's no negotiating. If she didn't like the price she shouldn't have ordered the cakeLastly- the pictures you uploaded are cute but I always try and get a full picture top to bottom so you can see a cake...
Glad to see you so get the 50% deposit up front but when I showed up I would have said oh, I can wait about 10 minutes but I have an appointment so if your friend is not here then you'll have to pick up the cake when you have the money. (and yes still charge the delivery fee). If she was texting you at 6:30 in the am- 3 hours was more than enough time to get money or if she knew her money would not be ready she should have told you to come later.
To me traditional would be baby bottles, baby shoes and blocks. Definitely keeping to a baby and white (or ivory) blue color palette with accents maybe of a pale green to mix it up. I think stripes are always nice for a boy but some of my more traditional customers were really looking for what I consider very traditional like the baby quilt sheet cakes, the clothes line around the tiers with the proper gendered clothing.
Do you have some kind of written arrangement as to how this is supposed to transpire, something that at least details who is responsible for what such as they refer brides to you and then it is up to the bride or are they responsible to handle the bride, etc. If not I would say get something in writing asap as imo if the bride finds out 48 before her wedding she does not have a cake but she knew your company was who was recommended it will look poorly on you. Perhaps the...