Posts by lexi55033

I know I have been undercharging for custom cakes and I'm working to correct that now that I'm close to opening my new shop (a couple more weeks). I am fully licensed and have been for a few years now. I live in a suburb of the Mpls/St Paul area of Minnesota if that helps. Here are 2 similar cakes that I've made in the past. I am thinking of pricing them at $55 or $60 for a 10" round (2 layers of cake, 1 layer of filling). Is that reasonable? I would appreciate any...
I have a 5 Qt KA (got for our wedding 15 yrs ago), a 7 Qt Viking (bought new about 3 yrs ago) and a 20 Qt Hobart (bought used about 1 yr ago). I use the Viking 95% of the time and absolutely LOVE it!!! I know they make a 5 Qt version of it too, if you didn't need one that big. I would highly recommend a Viking.
All of the recipes that I've tried have been too dense for my taste (in cupcake form anyways). I'm looking for a lighter, fluffier carrot cake, if such a thing exists. Something that will produce nicely domed cupcakes and is more of a typical cupcake consistancy than regular carrot cake. I would prefer if it didn't have nuts, pineapple, raisins, etc.Thanks,Angie
There is one window right next to the door and about the same size as the door. I will have blinds on this window and plan on closing them when I am not there. One nice thing we did, was divide the space up into 2 sections. The front area (VERY small) right when you walk in will be for consultations and pickups. This area is only about 8' x 10'. We put up a wall to seperate this area from the back kitchen area. There is a glass pocket (sliding) door between the 2 areas and...
For me, the sour cream solved the stickness problem too. They weren't sticky at all when I used the sour cream. I'd definitely give that a try.
I'm in the process of opening a cake studio. I've been renting a commercial kitchen up to this point. The new location isn't going to be a retail store open to the public. I'm still just taking custom orders and everything will be by appointment only. I'd like to have a sign on the front door letting people know that, since the new location is in a small strip mall and I can envision people just dropping by. I am going to have my logo on the front door then text below it....
The two things I've found with tappits that really help me are 1. make sure you roll the fondant REALLY REALLY thin and 2. After I roll the fondant out, I let it just sit and dry for about 5 minutes before using the tappit so it doesn't stick. Then they work fine for me. HTH!Angie
I was reading another post about the Hershey's Chocolate cake recipe and someone suggested substituting sour cream in place of the milk called for in the recipe. I tried that this weekend and it worked beautifully!!! I baked the cupcakes at the temp that I normally do for all of my other recipes, 375 for 5 minutes, then 350 for 20 minutes and they came out perfect. They were very nicely domed and still tasted great. I've definitely found the solution that works for me....
Thanks for the replies everyone! There are some great ideas there. I don't have the skills to pull off that bagpipe cake, but it's an awesome cake! Angie
I have a couple who is currently living in Scotland, but getting married this summer in the US. They would like to incorporate Scotland into the design of their wedding cake somehow, but still want it to be elegant. Any ideas? I'm really stumped on this one. I know very little about Scotland in general.Thanks,Angie