Posts by DanishPastry

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!  My mother was a photo colorist and my sister is a water color artist, so I'm hoping to channel some of their skill when I do these!  I've always been the one in the family who comes up with great ideas but has trouble executing them.  Now that I'm retired, I have more time for trial and error.  My first project is a train cake for my grandson's 2nd birthday (1/27), but I'm having a hard time getting started on it - flowers seem...
Thanks so much, Rae. Because I do this for love not $, I don't want to spend a lot on trial and error. Though there will still be errors. We celebrate our 40th this summer, so that will provide more practice.
I'm assembling a kit to teach myself how to make gumpaste flowers for my niece's July wedding cake (one of many - I only do them for family).   She's marrying a man from Mexico and wants to evoke a feel of Mexico in her decor.  For her cake, she wants bright red flowers cascading around it.  I've been reading the posts and am ordering Super Red gel for coloring the gumpaste.  What color petal dust would anyone suggest for getting a bright true red, not orange and not...
I have Wilton cake pans and found that my Agbay Junior cuts my 14" cake with a little room to spare. The blade is 14" and it is almost 15" between the legs. I believe I've read that not all 14" pans are actually 14", so you might need to check your pan.
I recently went ahead and purchased the junior. Cuts a 9x13 across the 13". I think it will work to cut around the edges of a 14" but then I might need to use my Wilton to finish off the center. At least I should have level cuts to guide the Wilton.
Leah - you said the jr is good for cakes up to 14". Their website says through 12". Have you been able to use it to level a 14" cake? I can't really justify the expense for an Agbay as I only do cakes for my family, but if I can get by with the jr, I might do it anyway.
http://www.orchardcountry.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=orchard&Category_Code=Jam_Jelly_ButterI purchase the seedless raspberry jam from Orchard Country, Door County, WI. It has a nice, rich flavor.
I'm not an expert on this, but did a wedding cake for my cousin's daughter where I wrapped thin blue ribbon around the cake. I used crusting buttercream and waited to wrap the ribbon until after the cake crusted, at which point I had some difficulty keeping the ribbon in place as I wrapped, as it wanted to slide. I had purchased some blue pearl-tipped pins to place at the intersection of the ribbons, so I used them to help hold the ribbon as I wrapped. A helper would...
From what I've read on this thread, your cake wouldn't have lifted like that if you'd frosted it frozen. I'd frozen my daughter's wedding cake after I filled & crumbcoated it. I let it partially thaw before attempting to put the final coat of buttercream on and it was a mess, too. The crumbcoat got soft and would lift as I spread the next layer, bringing cake with it. I ended up scraping off the crumb coat and starting over - cake was completely thawed by then. Now I...
I've liked my Wilton cake pans, but then, I'm not a professional cake decorator - just cakes for family & friends (including my daughter's wedding cake). I use them with the Wilton Bake Even strips, so they bake slower & more evenly - similar to a heavier cake pan. I don't know the structure of the other pans referenced, but the Wilton pans don't have seams so they wash up well.I also use Wilton's Cake Release, as I've had better luck with the cake releasing cleanly...