Posts by jillmakescakes

so a client used our fountain, plates and pillars (I know, right?), she didn't return them. I've been talking with her and the "wedding planner" and nobody knows where they are, each is blaming the other one. So, we do take a deposit and get a card number on file. I told the client we were going to charge her card. I tried to charge her card, and the transaction came up DENIED! So my question is... what now? Small claims? Arrest her for theft?
well, you can talk to a few realtors, some of them have names of people who sell businesses as a whole. You could also advertise a "garage sale" of sorts. You will open your business for offers, make an offer for the whole business one day, if that doesn't sell, the piece-meal the next day. Have them offer a price to you for equipt, if you like it, they take the item, if not, you wait for the next person. A local bakery/deli did this when the went to wholesale only. ...
My suggestion is to call to see if it would be Ok for you to drop off your resume in person for them to keep on file and to ensure that the time would be Ok (NO FRIDAYS!!!!!)Also, you can ask if they would prefer a paper copy or an email copy. Make sure that you "like" them on facebook, if applicable. if you have a facebook page, make sure you update with cake photos often.Bottom line is, many (but not all) bakeries are on a limited budget and rarely expand. They...
Ok, so I have a genuine question- how to copyright laws work/apply if the copyright is from overseas? For example, can UK bakers make designs that were copyrighted here in the US without fear of prosecution, or are there international copyright laws? Same for Cananda vs US? My oldest loves a canadian cartoon- can that character be made in the US without issues?I am not trying to start a heated discussion, but rather I am actually curious.Discuss....
ok, so let me preface this by saying that I'm in a mood tonight....really, there are two scenarios here. Either SHE'S a good enough friend that you can explain the pricing snafu and she will continue to be your friend or YOU'RE a good enough friend to suck it up and give your friend a little something extra in the name of friendship and practice. Again, I'm in a bit of a mood, but if frustrates me to no end that so many people post "how do I charge my friends more...
First, kudos for starting on the right path-- now is a great time to ask these types of questions, not after you've opened a business One thing I've learned with pricing is that if you value your work, so will others. Take a good, hard objective look at your cakes. As CWR41 mentione, see what kind of polish you can put on them, but then I say that your work is definitely good enough to charge a pretty penny. After you check your costs, I wouldn't see anything wrong...
I'm with Debi (shocker, right ). I tell them that since I cannot guarantee no cross-contamination, I'm just not the baker for them. I tell them that I would hate to be responsible for a poor little kids face puffing up (or worse!).
On this one, it appears as though you might have to bite the bullet or not get a professional pic of his cake.We get upset when people don't see the value of our work, so we need to look at it from his point of view. He may be top of his game, have the best equipment etc. His prices are his prices. Now, I might ask him if there is any room for professional courtesy, while still stating that I understand if there is no way to bring the price down. Also, you may want to...
just wondering if they've made any decisions....
I make a table with the days of the week across the top and the client names down the left side. Then I fill in what needs to be done on each cake each day working backwards from delivery. This way I know what components need to be done in advance as well as whether or not I'm on track.