Posts by jillmakescakes

no, they don't come in other colors, but you can just cover them with fondant to get them to be another color. As a tip, coat the globe with a little piping gel and the fondant will stick on there beautifully.
great place to start and a great way to "force" yourself to practice. use the class time to its fullest and don't be afraid to ask your instruction lots of questions.
ok, so it has to be 'cause Debi and I live so close, but after reading your story, I was going to post THE EXACT SAME IDEA as Debi!!!!! If she likes the saved cake, then you know she lied. If she doesn't, then you know that the problem is her taste buds and not your recipe.
That's so great to hear.I had a bride this past weekend who was also super nice. She had her soon-to-be father in law give us a tip! (I always tell them that it isn't necessary, they usually insist, but this FIL kept it!--not a bother to me, just sort of funny)
like Debi, I think that a major reason for my high booking rate is my prep work. I have a lot of info on my website, including pricing. This can nix a lot of looky-loos right away. Also, when we book the tastings, we discuss their wedding just a bit. Usually something as simple as "What stage of the planning process are you in?" will bring out a wealth of information.Once the bride is at their tasting, I get some pretty basic info (contact info, wedding colors, other...
We've done a few fountains over the past year, so that wasn't a major concern. When we take the deposit, we do run the card through right then, so we do get the deposit upfront. We don't charge a deposit equivalent to the replacement value,we charge a flat rate deposit. We then get a card number in case the items are broken or not returned to charge the remaining replacement value. While, in this case, it is causing us more trouble, I made the concious decision when I...
Debi's right, big shocker. We book most of our tastings, probably 90-95%. I have spent the last few years perfecting my speech, answering the "tough" questions, and asking the right questions. I'd say most of the non-bookers were looky-loos in the first place. I have gone back into some of the old non-booked sheets and looked up the photogs to see if they have any of the cake photos up and most of them, if not all, look homemade (not to bash home bakers, but rather...
I would have done a little rose petal pink with a little burgandy for david's bridal watermelon. I also make a point of telling my brides that "I will get a close as I can to the color swatch, but let's face it, we're talking about frosting here. " Sometimes that helps put it in perspective for them.
you could make the cuppies in a mini-loaf pan and make each one a small treasure chest- now, it is a lot of work, but still very cute.
Unfortunately, if you are only available on Saturday, chances are that you will only be able to assist with pickups as most of the decorating is done before Saturday (at least in my shop-- I hate last minute decorating)That being said, you can get A LOT out of being the "pick-up" person. You can get practice in instructing people on the proper care of their cake, obtain feedback for the owner/decorator, practice a sales pitch (so, can I write in the date of your next...