Posts by jillmakescakes

I've got 1500 sq ft, and I've already outgrown it (only 2 years in!!!). it also depends on how your space is laid out. Debi's previous space was about the same size as mine, but her's was longer, where mine was more square. I thought she had more space, and she thought I had more space!!
Have you looked into non-traditional kitchen options such as a church, school, VFW, or masonic lodge? The last two tend to use their kitchens less than some of the other venues and might be more open to a flat rate.Otherwise, it might be time to take the big leap and get a loan.
ok- I'm getting on my soapbox now....Just because you "feel" it is unfair doesn't actually mean that it IS unfair. I feel its unfair every time I scratch a lotto ticket that isn't a winner, but that doesn't mean that it's gonna magically become a winner. is it frustrating that you can't make money from you hobby- sure. is it hard to do it the legal way, YES. just because something is hard doesn't mean that it is unfair. I went out begging banks for money to start my...
don't get me wrong, I'm not horribly concerned about the rescheduled appts. As far as the two no-shows, I'm pretty ticked at the first one, but the second, my jaw was just on the floor. The coordinator did apologize for not calling us, and sounded very sincere. Yes, she should have called, but theses things do happen and I prefer to give the beneft of the doubt in most cases. Did it cost us money, yes, but I can still write it off, even if they didn't show. Just...
Ok, so we had a full roster of tastings this week, but at the last minute, all but 2 needed to reschedule (no prob, all were very apologetic) We confirmed with the other 2.Fast forward to today- first appt, No Call, No Show. We call them at the 15 minute mark, no answer. We didn't bother leaving a message.The second appt was set up by the wedding coordinator. As she did not have a business but was rather a "Ive-been-a-bridesmaid-so-now-I-can-plan-weddings" type. We...
while it is a little late for you, I'll put this here for others: if you are doing something major for the first time, PRACTICE FIRST!!! there should have been a test run.ok, for you.... as far as travelling, it depends on what you've done in the past. have you transported a 3 tier before? If so, a 4 tier isn't that much different. regardless of how many cakes you do, you will always get visions of cake horrors, you just learn to deal with them, better
run the numbers. make a business plan. once you know if you can afford it, the decision is an easy one.
if you want to add a little humor..." ...because nobody wishes they had done more situps, but they always wish for more chocolate cake!!!"
I'm with Leah_s- 100% for cookies plus any ribbon up-charge. I'd consider a gift cert in addition to entice them to place another order with the note "I hope you will allow me a second chance to make a first impression."
my extremely strong suggestion to you is to wait. I have two little ones (10 and 4--well, not so little anymore ) and it breaks my heart when I have to give up time with them to finish a cake. We had to nix a trip to a fun park last week 'cause I was too busy at the shop. Take the next 5-10 years practicing, buying the supplies you need a little at a time, practice some more, buy more, practice more, buy more....Espeically since you are planning on being preggo in the...