Posts by planetsomsom

Grainy meringue buttercream is extremely common and isn't really about the ingredients or clean hands.   I'm actually not totally sure how it happens in swiss meringue, because you're not boiling it much right? But I have experienced this with the italian version the first few tries because once the sugar is dissolved/cooked, any contact it has with undissolved crystals of sugar will turn the entire thing back into solid crystals, causing that graininess. The opportunity...
I sometimes have to make fondant for vegans... vegan marshmallows make an ok fondant but it's more... gummy. It works fine, it's just a bit different in texture. Agar agar instead of gelatin is how alternative marshmallows are made. Since there are dozens and dozens of thickeners out there, it can't be that farfetched!
At my school we did everything with our hands. Especially sponges, because if you can feel the lumps of flower, it's easier to fold. It's more efficient.   I guess it's gross if you aren't a clean person. In foodsafe, our health inspector said he was more comfortable with bare hands, because when your hands are bare, you know when they are dirty. With gloves, you don't feel anything. You forget. And you still don't wash your hands because you figure "oh I just had...
I often wonder about the danish pastries too, since the curd is all exposed on those.   Keep in mind, though, that the curd on danish pastries is applied before baking, and when it comes out, it has a gummier surface. I wouldn't say that comparing that with curd straight out of the can is a fair comparison. I don't know if the gummy surface really makes the difference, but it's definitely different anyway.
I absolutely hate baking things in summer for this reason but that's when everyone wants to have parties! Next week I get to decorate 200 cupcakes at work with buttercream... in a crowded kitchen that has no air circulation, humidity you can swim in and a temperature no less than 35C. Grr.   Sometimes for important things, I try to use half shortening but I find it's already so soft to begin with and when it melts, it can't be removed from any of my tools because...
At the sugar factory, I got to see where they bring in the raw sugar.   It's in a big metal barn, where trucks dump the sugar directly onto the concrete floor.   A huge tractor drives around and shovels it up to transfer onto a machine that begins the transportation through the disgusting factory.   You could say that the floor has been wash, the machine designated for barn only, etc. But you can't really deny all of the pigeons flying in and out through the...
It can taste kind of "bland" if you use unsalted butter. 50-50 mix is usually ok in case you've been avoiding the salt. I don't know your recipe but that's the only thing I can think of!
I had a coworker make salty cookies. Like, REALLY salty cookies. Unbearably salty cookies.   We set them out as a trap for our other coworkers.
Is the colour coming out too saturated and bright for your liking? If you want to neutralize it a little bit, you could try adding a very small amount of orange if it's blue, or yellow if it's violet.
I keep looking at that picture trying to see the "leaves" or the "petals", but to me they kind of just look like randomly torn pieces. Anyone else think they actually look like they have a leaf shape?   You could buy sheets and just use the tweezers to tear it into pieces that look just like that.